1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Juice Problem

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by PBFrO, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Offline

PBFrO Guest

Message Count:
    Juice Problem

Ok so i just picked up an optima battery thinking it would solve some power issues since i installed my HID kit but while im stopped at a light my headlights go out and i have to turn the lights on and off and they go back on fine until the next red light. also i noticed that my stereo will shut off on its own now and then. my best guess is an alternator but just wanted to make sure before i drop the cash on a new one. oh yea its a 98 corolla with 8000K HID Kit and two amps.
  2. Offline

donkeyman New Member

Message Count:
    if im not mistaken, HID lights dont draw a lot of power.
    yup, sounds like your alternator is going bad. cuz as long as the engine is spinning at a higher rpm, the alternator is used less.
  3. Offline

asn13oy Stepping Stones

Message Count:
    As long as the engine is spinning at a higher rpm, the alternator is used less? I though it was the other way around. As long as the engine is spinning at a higher rpm, the alternator is used more and the battery is used less, sometimes not at all.
  4. Offline

XS PSI New Member

Message Count:
    before you go out and spend money on a new alternator I would suggest you check to make sure the wires u used for the ballasts and bulbs are grounded correctly and have battery tested to see if its holding a charge.
  5. Offline

CraigW New Member

Message Count:
    Do you have a voltmeter ?? 12.8-13.5 volts output with load (blower fan, lights,flashers on)

Any large current demand would have to come from battery, the alternator is to re-charge the batt. (basicly)
  6. Offline

Tokez420 Guest

Message Count:
    HIDs only draw 35 watts, at start up they do need a good amount to ignite tho.
    im guessing alternator or alternator belt on this one
  7. Offline

PBFrO Guest

Message Count: