1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

JDM headlights

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by 03ToyMan, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    JDM headlights

Need some assistance here: just bought these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2419083816

think they'll look sharp on my MoonShadow.

But the description has this in it:

All wiring for the projector lights are preassembled for essentially
    plug and play application. All head lights comes with bulbs.

My question, why would the wiring be preassembled? What wiring? Do these use some special kind of bulb, not the OEM types? Was hoping to keep my SilverStars in them, but I'll deal with whatever they come like.

Thanks for any help!
  2. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    it says all projector lights, the lights you bought are not projector lights, so don't worry bout it.
  3. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Good news, thanks RollaS.
  4. Offline

ecorolla2003 Guest

Message Count:
    lets see some pics. :D
  5. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    This seller isn't really known for fast shipping, he sent me a e-mail saying they'll ship Friday, and UPS from Cal to NH is gonna take 10 days, so, soon as they're here, and I get a weekend day with good weather to install them, I'll post pics.

I also bought the wheel covers you lucky S owners got. Much nicer than the CE jobs. Got the rear windows tinted last Friday, applied for a waiver from the state to get the fronts tinted, bought a little stubby antenna...one mod at a time...I'll get there!

Now, for those gunmetal 'tezzas...
  6. Offline

imported_Zero New Member

Message Count:
    really? i actually like the hubs the CE comes w/ more than the S's five-spoke hubcaps...i feel that the S hubs show too much of the steel wheel underneath IMHO

about the jdm headlights...there pretty much plug and play...use the clear corner DIY it'll come in handy
  7. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Unfortunately they do show more steel, but there's already a few CEs same color as mine in town (serious bummer) so I need to do something to be a tad different.

I found some wheels I really like, affordable ( http://store.yahoo.com/racerwheel/wace-41.html ) but where I found them on line they don't have a application guide. I emailed them, no answer yet. If they will fit, I'll be getting them. I'm trying to avoid the real skinny-spoke chrome jobs, they look nice, but, everyone's running them.

Was hoping the pic on that ebay auction is accurate and these JDMs won't have the yellow insert, but if they do, I'll be yanking it out.

Again tnx for all the advice!
  8. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    i believe he said that to help you install them. They don't come with the amber piece.
  9. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Oooohhh... I do remember seeing where someone said how to get the lights out and back in. That one bolt over toward the fender looks like it's gonna be a bear. Now I know where to look for that DIY...thanks again!
  10. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Is the DIY section still down? Clicking on it doesn't bring me anywhere, at work or at home, so I don't think it's a prob at my end. Trying to get to the headlight DIY to see how everyone else got their OEMs out.

Does anyone have that knowlege in-head, would be willing to type it out for me? I'm concerned about the outside mounting bolt, do I need to drop the entire bumper?

Tnx for any help.
  11. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    no you dont need to drip the entire bumper. You dont even need to take the wheel off. Just peel the plastic cover back a bit and get your screwdriver under there to take the one screw out. the corner of the bumper will pop off and down far enough to get to that bolt.
  12. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    thanks again stinky!
  13. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    no problem. Wait till the DIY is working again though. That way you can see it so you know what you are doing. All the rest of it hold true, you just wont need to jacl the car up, pull the wheels, or pull that whole plastic cover off. You will need to pull most the clips holding it on, off, but not the whole skin.
  14. Offline

yeye Guest

Message Count:
    I always knew there had to be a way to do this without taking off your bumper... Thanks 8)
  15. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    stinky are you talking about the plastic wheel-well cover? If so I can't budge that thing!

I think by looking up from under the car i could get a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 10mm on it, between the inside of the bumper and the bolt head. Lights come in Thursday, if the lousy weather cooperates guess I'll find out then.
  16. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    i TRIED THAT as well but they dont make ratchet heads small enough to fit in there.

That plastic part you are not going to move it a lot, just enough to get yor screwdriver in it. It should move that much. You still nee to remove the clips off the bottom and do all that. You just dont need to pull the wheel off and the whole bumper skin.
  17. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
  18. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    no way in hell i'm going thru all that...I will get a wrench or socket on that bolt without tearing the car apart.
  19. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Just went out and did it stinky's way, didn't pull the wheel off. I was looking for a bolt way up in the wheelwell...nope, it's right at the edge close to the top on the front. Unscrewed that, two bolts under the car, popped a couple clips and got a socket on that bolt! In 9 minutes.

Thanks again stinky, you rock!

Now I gotta put it back together since my JDMs don't come in until Thursday. :x
  20. Offline

SSJ_Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    hehe didnt go thru all that either the reason for the wheel take off and jacking up the car wuz because Rainmaker was doing the paint for the calipers that same day also.
  21. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    oooohhh....yeah, guess that would make yanking the wheels neccessary. :D
  22. Offline

Nyconx Guest

Message Count:
    I thought it was going to be a bitch to do this when I looked at the DYI. I didnt take the tires off, didnt need to. The first headlight install took a little over an hour. (being very carefull not to break anything) the next headlight i knew how everything worked and did it in under 30 minutes. Make sure you have 2 people it makes it so much easier.
  23. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    What would the second person do (not being flip, just curious).
  24. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    They're on

JDMs came in today, got them on already. Took all of a hour.

[IMG]

lousy pic I know, but the sun's at a bad angle. When I finish I'll post better.
  25. Offline

bmw000 Guest

Message Count:
    Now that you have the new lights in, do you need to get them adjusted. Are the beams way out of wack?

Brian Weber
  26. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    let ya know in a couple hours, after it gets dark.
  27. Offline

darrenwang Guest

Message Count:
    The color matches your car perfectly from the picture.

Good Job!!
  28. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Yeah it looks pretty sharp how the color matches up. I think they'd look best on a black car.

The headlights were off. WAY off. I think I pissed off some squirrels. A few turns on the screws with a 5/16 box end got them lined up just like I like them.
  29. Offline

imported_Zero New Member

Message Count:
    Re: They're on

looks good old man [IMG]

8)
  30. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Thanks. Now you kids get the hell off my lawn!

:D