1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

It's Not Even Out Yet: Toyota reportedly upping price on FT-86

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by Autoblog, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Offline

Autoblog Guest

Message Count:
    It's Not Even Out Yet: Toyota reportedly upping price on FT-86

Filed under: Coupe, Toyota

[IMG]
    Toyota FT-86 Concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

Toyota touts its hotly anticipated FT-86 coupe as a quick, light and attractive sports car for the masses. One of its strongest selling points is a price tag that reportedly hovering somewhere around $20,000 in base form, making the rear-drive coupe an affordable option for cash-strapped enthusiasts.

However, a report from Autocar claims that higher than expected development costs could derail any dreams of a good looking, inexpensive FT-86. The British site sites unnamed Toyota sources as saying that the base price of the little coupe has shot from £13,000 ($20,000 in U.S. funds) to £15,000 ($23,000 U.S.), with a range-topper coming in at £17,000 ($26,000 U.S.). Further, Autocar reports that Toyota sports vehicle department head Tetsuya Tada says that the company has increased the targeted FT-86 age group has been bumped by a full 10 years from the 30s to the 40s.

If the report turns out to be true, we're sure there will be more than a few disappointed enthusiasts out there. But if Toyota still delivers on the attractive, lightweight, rear driver, we're sure we can find it in our hearts to forgive an extra few thousand green-backs.

Gallery: Toyota FT-86 Concept in the Studio

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

Gallery: Toyota FT-86 Sports Concept 'Family Portrait'

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

[Source: Autocar]It's Not Even Out Yet: Toyota reportedly upping price on FT-86 originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 21 Apr 2010 13:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
  2. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    maybe the higher price will keep the younger owners out of it who usually drive up insurance costs from dumb driving.
  3. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    wasn't the ft-86 body styling changed to another un-shown one?
  4. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Doesn't matter to me. I won't buy one.
  5. Offline

bennyboi9 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    it is sexy. however i would wait till i had $340k to get an audi R8 ;)
  6. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla

audi r8 = sexy! love it!
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    me and my girl were driving down the coast, in my rolla and we saw one, i turned the music down to 0, wound down my window and just followed it listening to the orgasmic sound it made. i swear i heard the r8 and i "jizzed in my pants". This is the first car to beat the Bugatti veyron in my books.

From an Aussie website

The Toyota Celica is back.

It's not called the Celica yet, and it's not confirmed for production yet, but the Toyota FT-86 Concept is the best sign yet that the world's biggest carmarker wants to put a sporty coupe back into its line-up. It is also proof that Toyota is serious about its sports car collaboration with Subaru, since the FT-86 packs a two-litre boxer engine under its bonnet that is being provided by its new go-faster partner.

The Toyaru coupe should go live within a year and is likely to make it to Australia in the early months of 2011 as both a Toyota and — with visual tweaking — a Subaru. No-one at Toyota Australia is prepared to talk about the FT-86, which will be rolled out at the Tokyo Motor Show this month as Toyota tries to put some positive spin back into the car business following the global economic meltdown.

Even Toyota in Japan is keeping everything but the basic details a secret. It admits the car has the 2-litre flat-four engine and says the car has an overall length of 4160mm, a width of 1760mm, is 1260mm tall and rolls on a 2570mm wheelbase. The car is a genuine five-seater with a low centre of gravity and lightweight construction. It is painted in a colour called Flash Red, with a leather-wrapped interior in black and cream. Toyota says the cabin is deliberately minimalistic to give a sporty feel, "with many of the structural elements left uncovered".

The other Toyota Tokyo concept to break cover this week is the FT-EV II, an electric city car. It is nowhere near as funky as the Renault and Peugeot electric concept cars that starred at the Frankfurt Motor Show last month, but it proves Toyota is accelerating plans to have a range of plug-in cars in production in the next few years.
  8. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    i gotta hear the exhaust tone, gonna go youtube it haha
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    roach, its not just the exhaust tone, its the sound of the actual engine. its sex.
  10. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    what an idiotic statement comparing getting a 20k car versus an audi and top it off the chances are slim to none you will end up 340k.
  11. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    I hardly call thst a price raise...Basicaly xheaper than a Camry.. Ablittle more than corolla
  12. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Price hike makes sense - puts it inline with the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. I agree making it too inexpensive will lead to problems down the road (knuckle head owners, cheap parts/construction, etc). As long as they keep it as lightweight RWD coupe - I think a lot of people will be happy. For me, I'll wait until I see it in person.
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    well maybe that 20k would help in securing a deposit. shut up. you stupid american.
  14. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
  15. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    if they have raised the price to compensate for quality control and reliability, I would not mind at all. If it will be manufactured and assembled in Japan, I would be even more enticed to considering it.
  16. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    not stupid, just reality.