1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Interior Speaker Installation

Discussion in 'Interior' started by mpersaud8, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Offline

mpersaud8 i wish u would

Message Count:
    Interior Speaker Installation

Wats happening yall. Im rollin a 00' rolla CE, need sum tech advice for replacing my pioneer 2-ways (100w max) in the front with kenwood 3-ways(240w max), most i know is taking the door frame off but speaker replacement is new to me. Advice would be sweet and pics would be clutch.
  2. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    As long as they will fit the adapter ring, that the old speakers are sitting in, then you should be golden.

If they are the OEM speakers - you might have to drill out the rivets holding the speakers to the adpater rings (I had to do that with my 2002 Corolla). Once that pops off - just disconnect the old speakers - fit the new speakers to the ring (cutting, grinding may be necessary) - connect the new speaks up (most use spade lug terminals) - box it back up, then test.

The problem is if the adpater ring doesn't fit. You only choice then is to fabricate new ones. Without the adapter ring - the speaker will not fit the opening correctly - a higher quality speaker that isn't installed well will sound worse than the OEM setup. Fabrication can be as simple as buying a universal ring (if you can find them) or cut a ring out of MDF with a router and make it fit.
  3. Offline

Tonyota VVTI BLOWN..??

Message Count:
    Welcome.. Yes rivets need to be punched out. I made custom rings when I did mine.
  4. Offline

mpersaud8 i wish u would

Message Count:
    my job revolves around car installation and through that ive heard about placing a thin piece of wood called a baffle in between the speakers and door frames so they wont short out. Think its a waste of time?
  5. Offline

modmonster2008 Complete Newbie

Message Count:
    ^ i believe it would help, also reduces the rattle that can be caused by the speakers vibration when playing loud music like i do :)
  6. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    my Infinity speakers came with a circular piece of foam that goes between the speaker and frame to help stop vibrations. I would not use a piece of wood depending on how thick it is as it might not clear your panel when the speaker is installed.