1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Interior air filter replacement

Discussion in 'Interior' started by stewardcboy, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Offline

stewardcboy Guest

Message Count:
    Interior air filter replacement

Just thought you all would like to hear how I beat Toyota at the "overpriced parts" game. The cabin air filter here in Canada is about $35 (not installed). I went to an industrial air filter company and had them make an aluminum-framed, washable air filter that slides right into the holder. The cost was $16.50.
    I also add a charcoal screen filter above it on each service- Replacement cost-$1.50
    Take THAT, Toyota !

DC
  2. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    hOW OFTEn are you suposed to change that thing? Mabey mine is due too?? wanna get another one made and send it to Calgary?
  3. Offline

stewardcboy Guest

Message Count:
    I guess the change interval would rely on the usage. Mine was completely full in 8 months. I will wash my new one every 6 months.

DC
  4. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    If you've got access to a air compresor ( a real one, not one of those little tire-pump jobs) you can blow the crud out. Mine keeps getting full of that greenish-yellow pollen, but it cleans right up.
  5. Offline

FC Drifter Guest

Message Count:
    According to Toyota, every 16K kms. I changed mine out at 20K and it was gross. I had leaves and it was totally covered in crap. And yes I paid $35 for that stupid filter :(
  6. Offline

Yoda Guest

Message Count:
    where is this filter located??? how do you get at it???
  7. Offline

stewardcboy Guest

Message Count:
    Look in your owners manual. The specifics are detailed there.

DC
  8. Offline

Yoda Guest

Message Count:
    thanks
  9. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    i'd buy one if you can get it fabricated and shipped here to MI.
  10. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    These posts prompted me to go have a look at mine......it was foul and full of leaves at only 11,000 miles. Since I had no replacement the original was cleaned as best I could get it and reinstalled. I did the same to our other '03 Rolla and it was equally dirty. I did a before and after check of the air coming out of the A/C vents and it was noticeably stronger after cleaning the filters.

I like the idea of a washable replacement. Toyota's replacement schedule is 22,500 miles but I really doubt that it would make it that far judging by how dirty the filters were at half that interval.

HMMMM, that reminds me......it's time to clean the filter on the CAI.
  11. Offline

methaneb Guest

Message Count:
    The thing about using compressed air on paper filters is that the air tends to blow tiny microscopic holes through the filter and lessen its filtering ability. Some of the dirt blows THROUGH the filter, and not out.
  12. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Even if you blow from the clean side to the dirty side? I've got a 8000 dollar heating system in my house, put it in two years ago. Filters are about 200 bucks 'cause they're HEPA rated. Guy running the company said to blow them inside-out every other year, replace them every other year.
  13. Offline

keithb Guest

Message Count:
    Cabin air filter

You have several alternatives to your dealer including the fabricated products noted in previous postings. You can try www.cabinairfilters.net -they have a lisitng or www.micronair.com also has a lisitng and some photos showing the way to install. Micronair looks like a good product and Feudenberg is well established in the air filter business but there are no dealers shown on the website. Lastley Purolator now has a lisiting and it should be easy to find a Purolator supplier - part number is C35491.
    Good Luck
  14. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    I guess with 40,000 km on the odo now it may be a good idea to at least LOOK at the filter!??
  15. Offline

c0d3r Guest

Message Count:
    Has anyone gotten an in cabin air filter and if so how much. With all the ash from all of So. Cal burning I'm pretty sure I may need a new filter rather soon, plus it would be nice to have somthing that might have better air flow.
  16. Offline

SoCal_CJ Guest

Message Count:
    I wanted one with activated charcoal to trap oders and some gasses as well as particles, no luck on that but...

well I did some reasearch so here ya go...all below are particle filters like the OEM...

OEM can be had for $17 or so
    aftermarket, claims same as OEM not better than OEM..
    WIX 24873 $19 to $25
    Puro. C35491 $19 to $25

now Champ Labs says theirs is better than stock OEM as theirs has better micron preformance (?) I asked what the heck is that, smaller particles trapped? they said no, more can be held in the filter, OK so not really "better" than stock, how much etc?

Champ Labs part # CAF 1764 and they make a BCAF 1764 for Mighty a master distrubitor in GA, both are the same part.

the CAF 1764 can be had for $24.95 at
    AutoZone and Champion Autoparts

For now I am going OEM....but still looking for better...anyone have a lead or idea?
  17. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    I'm going to get a 3M Filterete filter made for a home furnace, cut it into chunks that will fit if hot-glued in the OEM frame. Should get about six out of it, for about 20 bucks total.
  18. Offline

SoCal_CJ Guest

Message Count:
    only problem is the OEM one does not really have a frame, so not much to attach to, the 3M is 1 to 1 1/2 thick, and cutting it up will change the retention outer wire stuff, dont know if it will hold together, it you get that stuff in the A/C system fan etc, could be a bummer, man I hope it works and if so please let us know...
  19. Offline

walt77 Guest

Message Count:
    I'll have a look at mine this week-end!...

Do all cars have this feature?
  20. Offline

SoCal_CJ Guest

Message Count:
    This company will make a "custom" filter to our size 8 x 8.5 x.75 or 8 x8 1/2 x 3/4 in inches.
    the Accumulair is similar to the Filtrete 1000 same rating "MERV-11" not totally sure of the rating system but sounds cool, top of the top of the Filtrete the 1250 is MERV 12 don’t know what out OEM Toyota rating is but would guess less,

Also they have some charcoal impregnated material, normally used as a prefilter in HEPA Filters, same used in the Honeywell room sized HEPA filter I have, kind of a loose weave so should not restrict air flow, anyway, they said it would be OK to put in front of this filter as a pre-filter and it would catch some of the gasses and smells. So cool for diesel soot etc.

They seem like cool folks their website:

http://www.filters-now.com

http://www.filters-now.com/custom.php#products

Manufacture-Accumulair
    Platinum (MERV 11) $12.99 each 4 for $51.96 Ship Time-48 hours

At $12.99 ea it is still cheaper than the Toyota OEM, but we will see if better, I suspect it will be...I placed a order and will let you know soon the results…

Chad
    www.Filters-NOW.com
    "World's Largest Selection of Filtrete Air Filters by 3M!"
    (877) 991-0400 Toll-Free Phone
    (888) 823-6475 Toll-Free Fax

Tell them C.J. from California sent you….
    :mrgreen:
  21. Offline

ricechild Guest

Message Count:
    This doesn't have to do with the overall dirt on the filter, but if you spray some air freshner directly onto the air filter, the fragrance comes directly out from the vents, it's kinda neat when you turn on the fan it smells good. Also helps if your filter generally smells or your area has alot of smog
  22. Offline

SoCal_CJ Guest

Message Count:

Sorry don’t mean to send flames but...

What the heck you say? :?:

1. Don’t spray perfume on an air filter, you will weaken it and mess up its functionality to FILTER. :?
    2. Don’t cover up crappy air with some other crappy spray :twisted:
    3. Some crappy spray will not "help" smog; just add to the irritation... :evil:
    4. If your filter smells, it is WAY time to CHANGE IT! :shock:

So if your butt smells do you spray it with some stuff or clean it? :oops:

NOW YES I WAS MAKING FUN, AND NOT TRYING TO TOTALLY FLAME YOU!!!!!!!!!!
    :wink:
    BUT...use some logic...
    :idea:
  23. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    eh, we don't have a major smog problem up here, but I kinda do the same thing he suggested, I spray some Polo toward the are intake for the heater system when I'm taking my wife out for a date.

nope, don't help clean anything, but smells better than the crap that filter gets out of the trees here.
  24. Offline

SoCal_CJ Guest

Message Count:
    that is cool, and I really was just workin the newbie, not meant to flame, but their note was finished with "Also helps if your filter generally smells or your area has alot of smog" so that seemed to way miss the point of the post etc, a little Polo in the system wont hurt it, I still would not pull the filter and spray it right on the filter its self.

You remember Ozium? You can do the same in the system , put it on recirculate and spray Ozium into the intake by your feet, and it says it kills mold and etc in the system, use every 6 mos etc.

No harm no foul, again I was not out to flame the heck out of anyone, but as a allergy sufferer had to point out the smog thing....

:mrgreen:
  25. Offline

03ToyMan New Member

Message Count:
    Yeah, knew you was just teasin. You're right no way I'd spray it right on the filter itself. That would turn what it traps into mud, end of filter!

The spray Lysol does a decent job of getting mold smell out of the air system too. But it does kind of smell rude itself.

Ozium...hee...you're showing your age (and history). :wink:
  26. Offline

SoCal_CJ Guest

Message Count:
    who me? :roll:

yes Ozium works great.....be well and keep on keepin on... 8)
  27. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    I've got 30k miles and am yet to change my filter.......mainly because i'm lazy and don't care
  28. Offline

SoCal_CJ Guest

Message Count:
    cool , :roll: um I guess :?: :shock: :?
  29. Offline

stewardcboy Guest

Message Count:
  30. Offline

SoCal_CJ Guest

Message Count:
    mistake, sorry