1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Intakes n Supercharger

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by `03 BLKRoLLa, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Offline

`03 BLKRoLLa Guest

Message Count:
    Intakes n Supercharger

I have a 2003 Corolla S and am thinking about installing an intake. Ive been looking at the injen and TRD intakes but ive heard that w/ the TRD on the S model, it rubs against the fog lights. Is this true?? Also, if i do get the TRD intake will it work with the TRD supercharger?? Any info will be very helpful. Thanks
  2. Offline

c2300 Guest

Message Count:
    Re: Intakes n Supercharger

Yeah i have the TRD CAI, and yeah it does rub with the foglight. Nothing to worry about actually, no performance loss or anything. Also if you are looking to get a S/C i believe the TRD one is the only one that will fit with the TRD S/C. You should go ahead and do a search on this. There is tons of info out there, more then i could give you.
  3. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    Actually, the TRD CAI and S/C are not meant to work together. I think installing both will void your warranty.
  4. Offline

RollaS New Member

Message Count:
    while this is somewhat true, it still fits none the less and sounds awesome. I know of a number of people w/ the TRD CAI and S/C who have had no problems.
  5. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    technically you can have the TRD CAI with the supercharger, but Toyota doesn't like it. They told me in their own words that it "may cause undesired effect". They also told me that the supercharger was designed to use the stock intake specs and that by putting on a CAI would not make a difference.

You would think it can make it better, right?
  6. Offline

`03 BLKRoLLa Guest

Message Count:
    Intakes

Alright well im about to get a cool air intake an i cant decide which one to get. I am debating whether to get a TRD, an Injen, or AEM. Can someone tell me whats the difference between the 3 of these, which has the most power gains, fits best on the S model, etc. Thanks
  7. Offline

Tro1086 Guest

Message Count:
    I say get the TRD, i have it, and I love it. I think the TRD also has the biggest filter.
  8. Offline

AESC Guest

Message Count:
    if you have an auto then stay away from the cai and supercharger cause it gives you more top end power and you will hit the rev limiter all the time. the supercharger actually give you a new intake parts to feed from the same area as the CAI does you just use the factory air box and it still gives you plenty of low end grunt which was awsome. i loved the sound and high rpm power with the cai and supercharger but when i switched back to the stock setup the low end power was so much better. especially from a stand stil. lots of power down low and still enough up high.

if you got a manual go CAI all the way the sound is really great.
  9. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    The S/C is meant to run with the stock air filter or a short ram since it has somewhat of an intercooler built in, so you arent really helping it out. With the CAI your actually loosing your low end Hp. Also, the CAI with the S/C WILL void your warranty.
  10. Offline

variant2 Guest

Message Count:
    AESC, I can't understand how a CAI will make you hit the rev limiter on an automatic car since shift points are usually controlled by the ECU.

Variant2
  11. Offline

bzzsan Guest

Message Count:
    i dont know about losing power down low with the cai....larry @ matrixowners dynos-->

[IMG]
  12. Offline

AESC Guest

Message Count:
    you hit the rev limiter cause the car can breaths easier at higher rpms so it revs faster and the auto cant shift fast enough.
    as for loss of power you dont loose hp you loose torque. that is what gets you going. and i came from a truck with lots of low end grunt and love it thats why i got a truck again and cause the corolla cant haul lumbar and gravel. i loved the low end power the supercharger really adds a good amount of low end tq but when you add the cai you are taking away some of the power. but like i said it is only a issue with an auto. the manual you can rev it higher and not notice anytihng but more hp. if i had a manual i would still be driving my rolla today. i just did not feel like putting 5k to get my auto runnin like i wanted it to. one day i will be back in the sport compact sceen but till i pay off my truck it will be awhile. but i eventually need a ecno car cause i drive a lot. and 12 mpg sucks. but i love the power and view from up there.
  13. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    bzzsan's posted dyno chart seems to confirm the same information we got from blk03corolla. Being that his car was used as the test vehicle for UniChip, they did a few dyno sessions, while adding piece-by-piece, TRD CAI, 9psi pulley, etc. He had mentioned somewhere in that range of gains by adding the CAI to his S/C. This DOES void the S/C warranty though. I've heard that the only problem is running too rich, causing premature wear on the catalytic converters (hey btw, it's confirmed now, we have TWO catalytic converters! David H. (hooolala) replaced both with MagnaFlow highflow cats after both his failed (problems with an 03 S/C with 03 TRD piggyback on an 04 Corolla). On the other hand, looking at the A/F ratio from larry@matrixowner's dyno sheet, it doesn't seem like the CAI resulted in that happening at all, which gets me wondering what the heck is the problem with using the CAI with S/C. Oh well, I guess a few tens of thousands more miles will tell the tale.

EDIT: After reviewing the dyno chart again, I take back what I said. The CAI IS causing the vehicle too run richer in the 3400-4400 range. While that's beyond normal, daily driving, it would be good to see whether or not it is running rich at 2000-3000 rpms, where most regular driving occurs. If it is running rich in THAT range, then definitely got problems with running too rich. PS. What is the A/F ratio for stoichiometric? 14.1:1???
  14. Offline

variant2 Guest

Message Count:
    Stoich is 14.7:1

Normally, it's the ECU's job to keep the A/F mixture as close to stoich as possible via feedback from the primary O2 sensor when it is running closed loop. During Power Enrichment (PE), the ECU goes into open loop and ignores the O2 values and instead uses throttle position, MAF readings and the MAP sensor, to adjust the A/F mixture.

If your vehicle is running too rich during PE, then you're going to have to invest in a device that skews the MAF readings so that you could trick the ECU into leaning out or richening the mixture so that you're running safe and able to get the most power out of your engine.

Do you know what the rich A/F mixture was from the dyno?
  15. Offline

variant2 Guest

Message Count:
    Okay, it still doesn't make sense. The rev limiter is ECU controlled. Lets say that the rev limiter is factory set at 6800 rpms, you can't rev higher than that limit simply because you have a manual tranny.

As for the "breaths easier", then you should theoretically have the same effect of hitting the rev limiter if you add a lesser restrictive exhaust.

Variant2