1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Installing Fog Lights

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by rolla996, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Offline

rolla996 Guest

Message Count:
    Installing Fog Lights

Hey guys,

So i have a great set of Fog Lights and i defianetly want to buy them and install them myself. But i get confused when the electrical stuff comes into play. I was wondering if anybody knows a great (corolla 8th gen specific) tutorial. I have searched but have not found any.
  2. Offline

JordanInc ZZE110

Message Count:
    i want fog lights too...and i also have an 8th gen thats not 01 or 02
    i have no idea where to put them

the black space under the grill doesnt seem ideal
  3. Offline

94 rolla Guest

Message Count:
    its really not all that hard. positive to a switch from a power source, meet that with the positive on the fog lights, and then find a ground. not very difficult but if you need it i think autozone sells fog like wiring kits
  4. Offline

rolla996 Guest

Message Count:
    i have a 99, and i think i can mount them nicely on top of that median gap (top of the black gap). But see i don't get the grounding part and the power source.
  5. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    hey Jordan when you installed your black JDM headlights, does it fit 100% (i mean from corner to corner, angle to angle) like OEM headlights and corners?
  6. Offline

94 rolla Guest

Message Count:
    power source can come from anywhere. the most obvious one is your battery. just look to see how many volts the fog lights need. if its 12 you can wire straight to the battery. if its less than that then just look for a source on your car that requires the same amount and then tap into that. to ground, just run a cable from the ground point to the chasis of your car
  7. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Nice attempted thread jacking.

I ran Hella 1152s for a while. I removed the center section of the stock bumper so I had ample room to mount the lights. I just removed the bumper and spaced the fog lights 2 inches from each side of the front plate. I ended up drilling for the mounts. It's not hard, just time consuming to measure and drill exactly where I wanted them. Wiring is very easy. The fog lights you purchase should have a wiring diagram for you to follow. Sometimes, they'll include a relay too. I always wire them directly to the battery, but you have to be careful not to leave them on and end up with a dead battery. You can always play it safe and tap them into the headlight switch so that they come on when your headlights do.

The basic wiring is composed of:
    Run a wire from the battery through the firewall.
    Run that wire to a switch.
    Connect it to either + or -. It doesn't really matter.
    Run another wire from the other pole of the switch back through the firewall to each of the fog lights.
    Ground each fog light.
    You're done.

Here's an how mine came out.
    [IMG]
    I ended up removing the fogs since there's absolutely no need for them anymore after I installed my 50W HIDs. I couldn't even see the light output from the fog lights anymore. :D
  8. Offline

rolla996 Guest

Message Count:
    i love u'r bumper man, i know u cut the middle gap, but did u have to fill the sides or anything. cause i know the median gap looks thick but i assumed it was just like very thin plastic (paper like) and that it might look bad afterwards. Did you do the same for the top grill to?

And the only thing i have yet to understand, is what u guys mean by grounding. I have a rough idea only.
  9. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    LOL several people have told me that. Yes, you have to fill in the holes with bondo or fiberglass resin. The emblem in the top grill was sawed out and filled in as well. It took several hours to get it all smooth and stock looking.

Ground is just allowing routing away excess unused power. You can just ground it directly to the frame. (+)Red is for power, (-)black is for ground
  10. Offline

94 rolla Guest

Message Count:
    basically, run the black wire to your chassis... if you see metal on your frame, just go ahead and find a bolt and run the black wire there. its simple
  11. Offline

JordanInc ZZE110

Message Count:
    i'd like to see pics of your setup and the finished product [=