1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY Installing Cabin Air Filters on 8th Gen and Removing Odors

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by Mayur, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    Installing Cabin Air Filters on 8th Gen and Removing Odors

Ok I finally got sick and tired of the nasty smell coming out of the vents. Here is what you gotta do to get rid of it.

Materials:
    Home Air Vent Filter with Carbon - Mine is a RPS Products BestAir Vent Filter which I picked up from hardware store.
    Double Sided Mounting Tape - I got the Scotch brand one double stick foam tape. It is kinda of wide and you dont need it wide, once you mount it, you can tear off excess quite easily with your hands and a knife.
    Pine Tree Air Freshener (Optional) - I bought a 3 pack from walmart, new car scent.

1. Take off the center vents by using a flat tip screwdriver and popping it off. There should be two knotches on the bottom. Use the screwdriver to pry it off gently. Use a paper towel folde up around the tip so you dont scratch anything.

2. The center one is easy to do. Unplug the emegergency flashers and clock. Take off the foam insulator thing along with the tape that is there. Get a sheet of paper and a pencil. Lay paper over and use pencils side and shade the border of the area that way you can cut out an exact size filter.

3. Place paper over filter. I found it easier to paper clip it to the filter then using scissors to cut the filter. Put the tape on the are where you took off the foam stuff. If you want the air freshner, put a piece of tape going up and down in the center. Attach the air freshner. Attach filter on top of that. Plug in the cables and snap it back on.

4. Driver side vent. I have an LE so I got power windows and Im not sure if the vent thing is the same for all models. The vent also has a knotch in the center. Pop it open and unplug the cables. This side is a little tricky. You will have to curve the filter so the thing that closes the vent can still move freely. You will get the idea and it is fairly similar to the center vent. Only difference is that you have to round the filter to the edge and attach it to the sides just how the foam was. You can put in an air freshner on that side too but I decided not to.

5. Passenger side vent...little help here? I couldnt find any knotches to pop it off. If anyone knows how lemme know.

All in all this project cost me $9 and I have stuff left over.
    Filter - $4 (got more than enough left to finish other side and then there is still some left.
    Tape - $3 (didnt even use 1/4 of it)
    Air Freshner - $2 (came with three trees. i used one in the center vent and put one under my seat)

This DIY can work on any car btw.