1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

installing bumper questions

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by toyotaboy, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Offline

toyotaboy New Member

Message Count:
    installing bumper questions

Ok, so I picked up a bumper yesterday (this isn't on my car but this is what it looks like)
    [IMG]
    It's a R33 skyline bumper, and here's my questions:
    1. Is it hard to swap bumpers, or should I let the body shop do it? Not sure if it's easier for them to paint seperately or while mounted (it's been mounted before so it should fit without modification)
    2. Do I loose my padding by installing an aftermarket bumper?
    3. How do I go about installing grill guard? There isn't any installed like the picture shows. Would the body shop be able to handle it?
    4. Since I have a 02' corolla S, I have fog lights.. I figure I should get some nice bright foglights since stock ones won't fit right. Do I want to install them in the big holes on the bottom, or can I find thin ones to fit up top (or would that look retarded?)
  2. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Usually better to paint them off the body - more room to work with. Sometimes they will need to paint in on the body for blending into the surrounding paint. All depends on the type of paint and pigments used.

You will loose that bumper pad with the aftermarket bumper. Just the way it works out - very few will retain the OEM energy absorbing bumper pad.

Grill guard - probably pop rivets, ties, and some adhesive - if the bumper is an ABS or polyurethane material. If the bumper is fiberglass - you could get away with some fiberglass filler (Duraglas) or set the grill with fiberglass resin. Body shop should be able to handle that with no problem.

That is a personal choice - depends on how big of a fog light your are planning to get. If you get the smaller projector types - you can place them almost anywhere and they will still look OK. Placing the fogs ontop of the bumper, ala WRC, would different - retarded looking, depends on the person you ask.

Good Luck on the project.