1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Injen SRI v.s Ebay Generic SRI

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by mingww, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Offline

mingww New Member

Message Count:
  2. Offline

Tamago New Member

Message Count:
    looks good to me! the filter is the difference tho.. K&N owns.
  3. Offline

xnevergiveinx New Member

Message Count:
    i bet you wont notice a difference between the two
  4. Offline

iAMconfused TRD Whore

Message Count:
    It'd be a b!tch if the generic one causes lots of knocking. Then it'd just suck and you'd cry because you didn't buy a trusted brand for your car.
  5. Offline

Tamago New Member

Message Count:
    lots of knocking on what?

u make no sense..

an intake is an intake is an intake.. get a good filter, and good sensor placement, and you're GOOD TO GO..

who cares who makes it?
  6. Offline

AE102 New Member

Message Count:
    yep, its just the filter you get that makes the difference. the rest is just a pipe.
  7. Offline

AE102 New Member

Message Count:
    most just buy it cuz its a brand named one. just get whatever works.
  8. Offline

mingww New Member

Message Count:
    yeah, i was kinda confused that there were not many difference except the price.
    the K&N filer will not cost more than 50 bux i guess...:D
  9. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Buy the generic, find a K&N or other high end filter on sale, and buy an injen sticker and call it an injen sri :p hahah
  10. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Heres the thing though, check the shipping charge on your ebay intake. I was looking at this for myself, and if I wanted a CAI for my jetta, It would be about 40 dollars on ebay, about 30 dollars or more for shipping depending on how much u get ripped off, and then about 50 for the k&n . that puts me at around 120. GHL makes an intake with the filter already on and they are a very well known trusted brand in vdub and other german import circles. Their intake is 130. I might as well just get the GHL from the store 15 mins away from me then worry about what I could get on ebay.
  11. Offline

Phozenstone New Member

Message Count:
    i have one of the generic ones if you want, its the ones they sell on ebay, i bought it cuz i was tricked into thinkin it was an injen but it was one of the bomz ones instead, i used it for a couple months till i got a real injen. i dont have the filter for it though, so its basically just the tube..if u want it i'll give it to u for $20 shipped
  12. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    That's true, especially on ebay, people make their money on shipping i think... but if you can find a generic for sale locally for 30~40$... then it would be worth it, because in the end, its just a metal tube...
  13. Offline

renfield90 New Member

Message Count:
    I have my own opinion about buying stuff on ebay for my car...but that's not important.

Any reason you chose SRI over CAI?

SRIs are pretty generic, not too much performance difference between them. The only thing you want to make sure with the generic intake (or any intake, for that matter) is to ensure they use stock-sized tubing, otherwise your MAF sensor readings will go to hell. Otherwise, you really won't see much difference between one SRI and the other, except for filter choice.
  14. Offline

mingww New Member

Message Count:
    i would take CAI over SRI
  15. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    Only benefit to SRI is you have little chance of hydrolocking compared to a cai.
  16. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    For those who think Injen is overpriced most likely you never install a injen vs ebay one by yourself before. The fitment of Injen is perfect, the engineered is very good and smart.

Those ebay one sit RIGHT BESIDE the engine. And the only part it attached to the engine bay is that silicone hose and maybe with some cheap metal pieces part. It will shake and move around (well, not really around, but you got the idea) and knock the other part/hose/wire in the engine bay.

But the injen one sit behind and the lower part of the engine, right near the opening for the wheel. I know it might not make any different, but it's just a smarter way to do. And it attached to the engine bay by the silicone hose AND it attached to the part that the stock air box originally attached to. So it won't shake and knock other parts in the engine bay.

Actually that might not worth the extra $100 and it might not give you any gain more than the ebay one, but please, don't say injen and ebay one are the same anymore! They're different!

P.S. fyi Ming, that pic of the injen on the ebay link you show us is not the one for our rolla.
  17. Offline

Tamago New Member

Message Count:
    my injen intake forced the filter into the firewall and cut a hole in it..

perfect?

no..
  18. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
    i think im getting the injen one for my gts.... but all i really want is the piping, im putting my hks filter on. do you think i could just get it done cheaper elsewhere custom with some u bends and t clamps? or should i spring for the injen thats already done and done
  19. Offline

Tamago New Member

Message Count:
    why do you want Tbolt clamps? overkill IMO.. although they do look nice.. we sell them at work..
  20. Offline

Phozenstone New Member

Message Count:
    just get the injen, looks a lot prettier.
  21. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    Injen costs too much because of the C.A.R.B exempt testing that they have to go through.
    Generic "BOMZ" ebay ones are gay cause the MAF sensors dont fit in correctly and they knock on your brake cylinders.
    I went ahead and bought a K&N drop in filter for about 40 dollars from http://www.fox-performance.com/ . They ship free too.

Plus with just a drop in filter, cop's don't hassle you.
  22. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
    thats exactly why.... and its complete overkill for not much more

plus i dont like how it looks when the silicone starts to come apart between normal hose clamps
  23. Offline

mingww New Member

Message Count:

i do have k&N drop in air filter installed for a long time..:D
  24. Offline

Tamago New Member

Message Count:
    let me know if you want me to send you a pair.. just paypal me a couple bucks and i will ship you some UPS
  25. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    I remember seeing something on TV where they tested a whole bunch of different intakes......the difference was CONSISTANTLY between 1-3hp difference....i believe the highest horsepower gain was pretty close to 12hp....the car they tested all these intakes on was some kinda BMW....so as long as it sucks in air then generic man....but if u just want to say that you have an injen intake, then injen.....IMO, id feel pretty badass if i could say i had an expensive injen intake, lol....
  26. Offline

renfield90 New Member

Message Count:
    Injen is known for occasional problems with fitment and build quality. The Celica CAIs required you to permanently cut the ECU cooling tube (couldn't revert back to stock) or remove it altogether.

It's been known that some Ebay CAIs are virtually exact replicas of the AEM Gen 1 CAI for the Celica. (There were some quality issues and frequent bogging, lean CELs, etc.) However, it's still a box of chocolates, you never really know what you're going to get, and sometimes you don't get all the required hoses and clamps.

It's just personal preference; I don't like playing the lottery. ;)
  27. Offline

DjFrOsT New Member

Message Count:
    i got the a ebay short ram for my '05 rolla S...and that ish is tight...i think it is a great buy...price is great...fitment...that went smooth...sound...AWSOME!!...and it looks great...[IMG]
  28. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    You could go the ebay way, good luck finding a CAI for an 01-02. They have SRIs all over there. It really is just a pipe. You are paying for the namebrand somewhat with an AEM or Injen. Yeah, out of the box AEM or Injen looks prettier. You could always just get a no name and then put the logo of your choice on there, then you would have an inexpensive intake with a name brand on it. :)