1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Injen Short Ram Intake

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Mayur, May 9, 2006.

1. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    price: no, that's above full price. it's $180 at racing solution.

Is there a better intake? yes!, the EL prototypes is much better.

will it fit an LE? YES, I had it on mine but it sucked so I got rid of it.. sold for $25
  3. Offline

|-Goku-| Super Saiyan

Message Count:
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    I have looked for EL Prototypes but as far as I can see, they are gone. The link you gave me is good but only problem is then the shipping would make prices equal. I will try to find a local injen dealer if the retail is $180.
  5. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I got rid of mine because I lost so much horsepower. but if you're only in it for the sound go for it.

just to give you some MAF sensor values I recorded last summer driving @ 40mph:
    stock intake: 83.9 degrees F
    injen intake: 168.5 degrees F

.. that was with the heat shield
  6. Offline

James Bullshit Police

Message Count:
    ZZE110, MA70, JZA70, AE92 GT-S x2, xB with a rollcage, 900 ft-lb Dodge Ram
    seriously not worth the money.

i took mine off in favor of a (dyno proven!) mod to the stock airbox. i even have it lying around, but i wont sell it to you for the low price of 50 dollars because i dont want your car to suck more than it already does. trust me, im doing you a favor.
  7. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    I sold mine and I bought it new back in 03' for $120 and sold it for like $35.... I'd just save the cash and go with boost hehehe
  8. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    what you should do is try to get an el prototypes. last time I checked their company is still around, I thought they just decided to sell locally instead of national.
  9. Offline

hellapinoy 2000 Celica GTS

Message Count:
    wait, so a stock air box is actually better than a SRI? if it is, then im putting my stock air box back... and do the CAI mod by vamp...
  10. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    it's better than the injen one atleast. I used my obd-II computer to read the values. higher intake air temp = lower horsepower. the injen is just really poorly designed.. they sorta put the intake right by the headers heat shield.

that's a good idea with the homemade cai, since finding an EL is pretty difficult.
  11. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    What i know is that EL prototypes is backed up with a hell of a lot of work. They're only taking walk in inquiries as far as i have heard. and yes, the injen intake is a panzy design. what you should do is just use the stock air box and route a hose to make a ram air box.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    Well I got the injen intake from a friend and only problem is that it wont fit. I have ABS on my car and the ABS sensor/control thing is in the way. I think I have to get a bigger treaded rod to mount it on and a longer return line so everyhing can fit. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
  13. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    wow a corolla with abs. now that's rare.
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    It is rare. I also have side airbags on the car too :D
  15. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    yeah that's rare for sure!

side note: I locked my brakes up today, been a while since I've done that/had to, some idiot decides to hit the brakes going through an intersection..nobody else there
  16. Offline

Wide Slip Angle New Member

Message Count:
    With the intake, you want smooth, gradual bends in the pipe. Too many 90* PVC couplers isn't good for flow. I was thinking *and this is just me thinking here* I don't know if anyone did this, so stop me if I'm unintentionally copying. When was looking under the hood, I looked at the area where the stock battery is located. If that's out of the way, you can make one hell of a good short ram with just a straight pipe leading from the throttle body and a cone filter on the end. As long as it's level with small opening between the hood and the grille, air will come in (air blows around under the hood at high speeds anyway).

My insurance company's under the impression that I have ABS. The tire tread left on the pavement after a hard stop proves differently.
  17. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I think your best cheap bet would be the DIY on http://vamp.darkravers.net/ Vamp's site...

he has instructions how to make a custom cai, I bet it would work pretty well
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    Well after about 45 minutes (most of the time spent taking off the return line) we got it on with a bit of fabrication but I still need a bigger threaded rod. The one I got was too big (damn the guys at home depot). It is damn well secure but I'm still going to get the threaded rod so I can mount it properly.
  19. Offline

mburket Banned

Message Count:
    so what intake do you suggest besides that EL one is there one you suggest and is proven to work well. I ask this because i am looking to maybe buy one. Im looking for a short ram intake as well.
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    Im personally fond of my injen one. I took if for a spin right after I installed it and i can deff see a power increase. It was night but it was still 75 degrees outside.
  21. Offline

sddynamix Taybo Masta

Message Count:
    Guys,

If you're interested in an EL, just email them - I emailed them not too long ago and bought a CAI and had it shipped to me within the week.

They just took down their website cuz they're keepin' it local.
  22. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I might.. phone #?