1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

i'm excited!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by falnfenix, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    i'm excited!

so i know most of you folks around here hate domestics, and wish Toyota would take over the world.

that's cool, fine, whatever. i understand that.

however, allow me to be excited for the next...ohhhhh....27 or so hours...because i'll be getting my cavalier - FINALLY - after waiting a few months on it. for those who don't know(despite my constant babbling about it) it's a 1991 Z24 coupe(tincan..lol) with a 3.1L 5spd motor in her. for now, she's staying stock...i might just drive the car till the motor dies once, then get a 3.4L like what they've been stuffing in Buicks. it'll fit rather nicely.

my buddy Mike's handing over the title tonight, and he's delivering my car to me tomorrow.

fast lil bastid's on its way to performance excellence...MWAHAHAH. :D
  2. Offline

blancokracker Guest

Message Count:
    Is that the same engine that the one guy came to the dyno with? That made like 100 hp , but 188 lb ft of torque?
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    ...it's the same car...heh...as in i'm buying his car, restoring it to optimum performance for the car as is...then boosting the hell out of it(reworked internals or motor swap, and s/c). she's got 140HP and 185lbs/ft torque stock, and she's manual(with a stage 3 clutch once i figure out how to install it). weeeeeeeee
  4. Offline

ChristianVA New Member

Message Count:
    im prolly gonna go GM.. That Ecotec engine is taking the scene by storm. and yea i do work with Ecotec engines all day. Daymn SAABs!
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    lol...the eco isn't a half bad motor...i just prefer V6. there's no replacement for displacement ;)
  6. Offline

TurboRolla21 Guest

Message Count:
    I am not a domestic hater at all...I would drive the hell out of a Cobra any day...But a Cavalier??? I dunno about that. That would have to be a work car at best.

But whatever floats your boat.
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    considering it would beat any corolla stock off the line, and it's a good base to start with, i don't see why not.

besides...a cav i can afford. a cobra...ehh. not so much.

question - do you even know which generation and motor i'm talking about?
  8. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    [IMG]

Like that one??

Laura laura laura.... :D
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    yeah...motorwise, she's staying stock. i've given up on the motor swap i intended.

kaosfm - i'm jealous. you had one of the most rare js made...that, the cimarron, and the j2000 are the three most rare...and finding a crate motor for a turbo bird is impossible.

Mike - i'm frustrated with the corolla. i'm sick of not having things work out the way i want. she looks good, even though only half the springs are done - not that it'll get finished any time soon since no one's interested in helping me out anyway.

i guess that's the problem...the fact that everyone around me has much more done to their corollas, and mine's at the bottom. she's slower than everyone else's, she's got mostly used parts...i dunno. i love the car, but i'm just frustrated.

besides - the cav cost me $500 out of pocket...for a running Z24. she's got some issues here and there, but overall she's in good shape. no rust anywhere, no leaks, no shimmying or shaking, transmission and motor are both sound. frankly, that's a steal for that car.

the higher horsepower and torque numbers are rather nice as well...count in the fact that it weighs only about 200 lbs more than the corolla(less than that once i'm done), and it's a viable option. they're also pretty easy to boost...the 3.1L takes to boost like a champ.
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    yepperski!

lol...whaaaaaat. it was cheap, and i know she runs well. hell, the clutch alone is worth more than the damned car...and i don't care. MWAHAH.
  11. Offline

kaosfm Guest

Message Count:
    My first car was a 90 Pontiac Sunbird turbo. It was a fun first car. Not too reliable, but I still respect the j-body.
  12. Offline

corolla_man_j Guest

Message Count:

I could do that running
  13. Offline

Mike4831 C-Town Pimp

Message Count:
    well i persoanlly wouldn't drive it but that doesn't mean i wouldn't drive a domestic. what was wrong with with the corolla?
  14. Offline

blancokracker Guest

Message Count:
    after what happened with her plans for the corolla, I don't blame her for switching to a different car.
  15. Offline

cleanrolla97dx Guest

Message Count:
  16. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    i actually like the old Cavalier Z24 they look better and sound way nicer than those new ones...
  17. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    That Z24 Cavalier had 3.1 L V6 180 foot pounds of torque and 140 HP. So it must have a very good off the line pick. More than almost all the cars in it's class. Although, the modest high end power makes you wonder about the huge discplacement size. Reliability should be in question as well.
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    yeah...like a mini camaro from that generation.

well, this car's got over 200k miles on her total...but is on the second motor. trips regularly from Maryland to Massachusetts took its toll on the the poor thing. the ex's has almost 300k on the original motor...and there are many others around with over 200k on the original motor as well.

so what was that about reliability again? ;)

besides...i'm not getting this car for reliability. if i was, then i would have sold off the corolla. this is my toy...and toys, when beaten on, aren't always meant to last.

*has dreams of LT1 swaps*
  19. Offline

blancokracker Guest

Message Count:
    How easy is it to get an Lt1 into that puppy?
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    i know it'll fit. don't know how the mounting points are.

i know the 3.4L Buick uses is a drop-in.
  21. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah, seems quite reliable. If there are ample mods available and you can bump the HP upto around 190 or so ( it should be not hard since there is such a big displacement size for you to play around with and getting more torque out will be a lot easier as well). It could become a very competitive machine and you can race with the heavy weights since the curb weight is around 2700 lbs, which is super low and torque is impressive already.
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    ...just up to 190? BWAHAH! it'll be far more, m'dear. in any case...i fully intend to break the 12 second mark in the quarter mile...

*steeples fingers* i think it'll be eeexcelent. [/Mr Burns]
  23. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
    Yeah that is cool. I guess people on VVTi will soon be watching a video of you whooping a Supra twin turbo's ass ;-)
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    lol...not really. i plan on picking on the little ones...not the bigger beefier cars. civics and tegs near me will fear the ugly crapalier ;)
  25. Offline

FaisalCorollaS Guest

Message Count:
  26. Offline

Turbo4afe Guest

Message Count:
    that equals 500k miles..

besides "m'dear" why boost a car that is easily boosted?
    can't face a challenge...haha
  27. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    If you knew her plans for the rolla you would understand that she like a challange, but those plans are not going to happen.
  28. Offline

Message Count:

i'm talking about two different cars in that comment, so don't try and change what i say. THIS car has a total of 200k on the body. that is all. thankyou for playing :p

as it is...it's a lot easier to do what i want, and i won't get as frustrated. i've almost gotten rid of this corolla on MORE than one occasion because of all the problems i've had with it. i find it sad that the cavalier, which was owned by my friend for more than half its life, has had fewer issues than a car 10 years newer.

by the way...facing a challenge is stuffing an LT1 into this car...which is a viable option for me at this point. don't say i can't face a challenge...and don't feel too bad when i'm whupping up on the little 4bangers.
  29. Offline

Turbo4afe Guest

Message Count:
    i misread what you said..i am soooooo sorry!!!
    and please tell me what kind of problems you had with the corolla..i am so curious
    list some..not ALL..
    and if you stuff an LT1 in it why play with 4 bangers? come play with with me and my buddies...you will realize what REAL cars mean..
  30. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    Hmmmmm....be careful with the drive train on that car. Casey AND his brother both had Z-24's, and both of them lost the drive shaft just while daily driving.

Honestly I'd never get a Cavalier with all of the other options that are out there, but whatever floats your boat I guess. Congrats on the new car either way.