1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine i'm burning god damn oil

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by midniterains, May 24, 2004.

1. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    i'm burning god damn oil

god damn it i'm burning oil in my 2000ve. the engine hyrdolocked a while ago and me being dumb i kept cranking the engina to pump the water out.

i figure just a swap will be just as expensive as a rebuild..any thoughts :confused:

fuck me up the goat ass
  2. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    can you explain in detail of how you got hydrolocked? b/c i wanna be aware of avoiding anything that might cause that-did you go into a deep puddle or something?
  3. Offline

burbod01 New Member

Message Count:
    no way... this board doubles as a christian rock BBS
  4. Offline

lonelydriver New Member

Message Count:
    he probably has a cai and went over a very, very deep puddle.
  5. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    no, i had an injen style intake, decided to go derbying, water splashed up along hte firewall, intake sucked that shit in like none other = hydrolock.
  6. Offline

TurboRolla21 Guest

Message Count:
    Why do you feel the need for the GD :confused:
    That's not very cool man.
  7. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    gd?? i'm guesisn god damn? i didn't know we became a religous board. :confused:
  8. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    When you attempted to "pump the water out", you *did* remove the spark plugs first, right? RIGHT? Oh.... You didn't.... ooops. You see, Timmy, when you have water in your combustion chamber, on the compression stroke of the engine the valves are closed and the water has nowhere to go. Since liquids, unlike gases, do not compress, it's like having a rock in between your piston and the cylinder head. You may have bent a connecting rod by doing this. Oh, well, Timmy-- now you know! And knowing is half the battle!
  9. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    uh i know i messed up. i figured if i looked under the hood the block might have been craked in half. i compression tested and cylinder two is no bueno.
  10. Offline

Concordmk1 Guest

Message Count:
    So in the case of ever hydro-locking the engine pull out the plugs then proceed to crank it and it will remove the water?

Just be nice to know.
  11. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    If the engine wasn't damaged by the initial intake of water, removing the spark plugs and cranking will help to remove some of the water. However, you will probably also want to blow in compressed air to dry it out even after you can't 'crank' more water out.

The reason removing the spark plugs before cranking works is that you then have these nice big holes in the cylinder head that the water can escape from, instead of the water having nowhere to go and consequently jamming up the engine.

You can even hydrolock an engine with gasoline or carburetor/throttle body cleaner if you're not careful.
  12. Offline

midniterains Guest

Message Count:
    yeah and put like a towel or something to absorb the water until as little water as you can get comes out.