1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine I would like to raise my redline

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Wheee, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Offline

Wheee Guest

Message Count:
    I would like to raise my redline

O.K. Einsteins, here's a question:

Have a 2004 Corolla CE manual transmission. How can I raise my redline? Some considerations:

1. I am familiar with powerband characteristics and don't care to hear you boo me down with, "What's the point? It won't breathe properly above the stock redline anyways." In other words, please don't conjecture. Either you have experience with this type of inquiry and know what needs to be done and what other items need to be considered, or you don't. If you have experience with other vehicles, I'd love to hear about it.

2. I am aware of Jet's V-Force Power Control Module, but nothing makes me believe that it raises the redline or top speed limiter, like some of Jet's other products or applications do. Am I right?

Thanks guys.
  2. Offline

Lekz Guest

Message Count:
    What's the point? Do you have cams that will even make power higher in the rev range?.......no, you dont. Do you have stronger valve springs to handle the higher rpm?
  3. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
    walk into a reputable shop and tell them verbatum what you just typed.... see if you dont get laughed at and/or tossed out of the shop

i dont deal with jackasses like yourself in real life..... and im not catering to your piss poor attempt at an inquiry here either..... hopefully no one does
  4. Offline

Killercocopuff New Member

Message Count:
    umm you can try the unichip
  5. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    why even bother..you're just gonna fuck up your engine in the long run..
  6. Offline

XS PSI New Member

Message Count:
    <br />
    u can possibly retro-fit a celica GT or MR-S spyder ECU to raise the rev-limiter or get a standalone engine management system.
  7. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
  8. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
  9. Offline

xnevergiveinx New Member

Message Count:
    why raise the redline when your max horsepower is below the redline?
  10. Offline

91DX Guest

Message Count:
    so he can feel that 3rd gear vtec yo!
  11. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
    thats more like it

ill tell you how to raise your redline bro...... there is a grommet coming from your firewall.... there are 3 wires you have to cut...... a black wire a yellow wire and a blue wire.... cut those are it will make your vvti kick in at a lower rpm and go to a higher redline
  12. Offline

MarkXRS New Member

Message Count:

Some stickers can add at least 20HP to the rear wheels :)

- Mark
  13. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    especially on the 03+ corolla..power to the rear wheels are HeLLa mAd y0...
  14. Offline

xnevergiveinx New Member

Message Count:
    a bleacher seat alluminum spoiler totally adds at least 20 horsepower too
    and never changing your oil is like equivilent to a 50 shot of nitrious, amazing huh haha
  15. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    well considering that as soon as you hit the max power output range somewhere quite a ways b/f redline, going past the max output point will just cause an increasingly rapid downturn in power, not to mention excessive premature damage that will result from high, dangerous revving... i know that the older gen's (AF motors) can withstand quite a bit of high revving torment, not sure about IZZ..
  16. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    dont get all technical on us asshole..=P..go with the flow of the thread haha..

ohyea, i got some bullet stickers, and i put one on my corner light..it's like speed holes!!!
  17. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    oh... lol! sorry.. :turns hat backwards: :turns on rap music: :yells "vtec!" b/f every shift: :screams "my vtec just kicked in biatch":

"I’ll pull in front of you and throw on my flashers
    When ya lost you called me a cheater
    Ya just couldn't hang with the 1.6 liter" http://www.angelfire.com/tn3/kaitlyn/McNasty while wer'e in the mood!
  18. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
  19. Offline

rolla mustange killer Guest

Message Count:
    get a msd ignition box, you can manually adjust the rev-limiter. its safe to raise the limit to 7k but nothing more. it works better with forced induction. and btw you could change your power band people by mods. stock hp peak is yes below 6k. but with like turbo or supercharger, nitrous. it obvioulsy changes the power band.

again msd ignition is the cheapest way to go 300$
  20. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    yea, but if he's asking just HOW to change his redline..i'm sure he doens't have a turbo or else he would be boasting that all over the forums..
  21. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
  22. Offline

Wheee Guest

Message Count:

Thanks much, Rolla Mustange Killer! This is exactly what I wanted to hear. All the rest of you are stupid, pretentious jerks, who actually don't know what products or procedures to recommend: hence, you backslap me by booing down my question. Think about it, three points:

1. Forums such as these are always filled with tons of opinion, but less than 10% actual experience and knowledge. I should have expected all your crap.

2. My question was very direct, of actual concern to anyone who's interested in increasing their power, and as I mentioned right at the beginning, is aside from any other concerns regarding stock limitations and stock powerband characteristics. The more options you have, the better it's going to be when deciding which particular mods you want to do. Increasing an engine's redline has always been a legitimate avenue for modding (albeit along with other changes). Don't limit yourself to the riceboy mentality of thinging the echelon of modding is CAI's and exhaust systems, or even turbos.

3. Once again, I don't mean to pick a beef with you guys, but I participate in this forum for the wealth of common knowledge, not the entertainment factor. You may enjoy railing me, but you just piss off those of us who are actually interested in getting somewhere.
  23. Offline

nakinmohoes Guest

Message Count:
    i'm gonna get flamed for this but i don't care. it's possible to raise the redline as well as overall power. you just need a different fuel curve/management. the 1zz in the corolla is not optimally setup, the motor can handle more (as in the case of swapping a celi ecu into a 01-02 5spd swapped rolla) comfortably. i'm not pushing my engine too much, even if it can handle it well, new valves and valve springs will ease the strain of high rpms.

i don't know why people are so quick to flame others for legit. questions. this reminds me of high school somehow, oh well. let the flaming begin! i'm waiting =D
  24. Offline

Lekz Guest

Message Count:
    you need more than fuel management...we're not talking turbo setups we are talking N/A. And with N/A the only way in hell your gunna make power higher in the rpm range is if u get tuned cams...tuned cams arent made for the vvt-i 1zz but u can get reground cams for the non-vvti 1zz. Im not sure itd be worth it.
  25. Offline

steve403 New Member

Message Count:
    raising your redline

The redline on a typical car means that if you hit that many rotations per minute, your car will overheat and possibly melt down. Raising the redline without doing the proper modifications to your engine would basically blow your engine up. The answer to your question...Just get some C4 and a detonator and hook it up to your engine haha.
  26. Offline

KC Rolla XRS New Member

Message Count:
    don't forget that if you add a solar panel, alluminum siding, erector set spoiler you get another 150HP
  27. Offline

Barnacules 100101101011011

Message Count:
    Wow, the dude that started this topic got his ass flamed so I figure what the hell, I'll throw my ass in the fire too. I have a 2001 Corolla and I want to up my redline regardless of strain or power cause I get mega pissed off when I hit the rev limiter sometimes and want to crash my car into a ditch as a result of the anger it causes me. Nah just kidding. But still I wouldn't mind upping the rev limiter so I had a bit better range to play around in when shifting and not concentrating on the TAC. Can I actually put a Cellica ECU in my corolla? What components in the engine should I change if i go that route. I'm really curious.
  28. Offline

CorollaULEV Guest

Message Count:
    Well, actually, raising the redline (modestly, that is) isn't so much an issue of breaking something, it's just that there's no power to be had by doing it, unless other mods are involved. My old 1990 Camry 3S-FE redlined @ 6000rpm, but the fuel cut was actually at 6500rpm - unlike ~92 and later Toyota's which have fuel cut and redline @ the same rpm. Guess what happen above 6000rpms on the Camry?? Not much, I'll tell ya that. Peak hp was @ 5200rpm and power dropped DRASTICALLY above 5500.

But, riddle me this. It does stand to reason that anything over 6450rpm on a stock 1ZZ would just see a loss in power. However, has anyone tried it?? Does anyone know how much power is lost exactly or is it all just guessing and extrapolation? Any 0-60 times or 1/4 mile times? Anyone know exactly how much hp a 1ZZ would make @ 6800rpms or 7000rpms (Corolla/Matrix variety, that is)? Are we all sure that it would deteriorate performance? The principle is that you want to spend a longer amount of time accelerating at the end of a gear as opposed to at the beginning. That's why a V6/V8 equipped car and an I4 equipped car can have the exact same 0-60 time, but the V6/V8 wins beats the I4 (in general, that is).

Trav
  29. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    why bother, it's there for a reason, and if that idiot says hitting his rev limiter is pissing him off..maybe he should drive his car into a ditch..cause it's fucking there for a reason..and that reason is SAFETY, it wouldn't be a pretty sight when you're going 80mph on the highway and suddenly your engine blows up, then you go crying to toyota and saying your car revved too high..
  30. Offline

nakinmohoes Guest

Message Count:
    driving until you hit the rev limiter isn't smart... when the car stops accel, shift. however there are ways to increase the 'redline' safely (it's not a matter of redline really), in the case of celi ecu in a 01-02 automatic corolla that had a 5spd swapped into it, retaining the stock harness (4-plugs). yes you won't see much increase if your car is say stock besides the ecu. it's best to accomodate the more efficient fuel management by freeing up the flow so you can reap the benefits. celi GT and the rolla both have 1zzfe, but the celi has better intake sys. and exhaust manifold also.