1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

I am officially surprised by BG cleaning stuff..

Discussion in 'Care & Maintenance' started by kenAJUSA, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Offline

kenAJUSA Member

Message Count:
    I am officially surprised by BG cleaning stuff..

First off, I do work at an auto parts provider, but we don't sell this stuff so I'm not really promoting it for our gains.

My service manager swears by this stuff and I trust him, and I've used the cheaper fuel injection ones before that you pour into the gas tanks which has "helped" but that could have been placebo'd or very minimal if anything at all.

I picked up the BG 3 pack that came with the 44k cleaner, the air intake induction and the fuel injection cleaning cans.

This was used on my other car, 2000 grand cherokee, 4.0L with 76k miles, I did not do the actual cleaning, nor did I look into my plugs to see before and after pictures.

However, driving it to my other job where I usually go anywhere between 60-90mph, the car ran buttery smooth. It wasn't like the same smoothness when you haven't done your regular oil change in a while, and then do it, but more of a smooth throttle. Flooring the car, and going on the freeway, it felt less jolting and a bit quicker in the midrange torque.

I read and did my research on this stuff before I considered it being that they're pretty costly, but I'm glad I did. I didn't expect such a huge difference but it's definitely there.

Just giving you guys a heads up on this stuff, and no, I have not tried their competitors yet which should be seafoam, or redline.
  2. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    I think i might try this stuff in the near future. Pribably after winter season. How much does it run in pricing?
  3. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    You used all three at once or just the 44k?
  4. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    Is this like Seafoam? I've heard too many storys about how a car doesn't work after Seafoam.
  5. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Yup, I won't use Seafoam for that reason.
  6. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    I've used seafoam 3 times already... 2 for cleaning the carbon in the top of the engine (the ones that make the huge white clouds) (first one was yellowish)
    and once to clean the idle air route from oil and gunk
    warmed the engine up, dissasembled the tubing, choked the passage full of seafoam (was black before) left it alone while I washed the car, and started it up... I can see the metal again in there :p
  7. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    like any cleaner, you're not supposed to use it frequently. BG does a number on the engine, and i'd stick to a minimum with that stuff.

i do recommend it, though, if your car runs like poop and you can't figure out why.
  8. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    I used seafoam mixed in my gasoline tank in my motorcycle and smoothened out the idle.
  9. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    exactly, I've used it those times in a 3 year span
    does wonders for a clean up, but don't abuse it, since it's really strong

and transtune in the first tranny fluid change (which was the same oil since new since it smelled like rotten poo filled diaper liquid