1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Huge Huge Huge Problem

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by SkyAce2004, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    i give my car WOT all the time... but, i dont redline all the time.

ive got 42k on the car and had the engine replaced at 26k (mis-shift comin off interstate). still runs fine, except for the clutch
  2. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    or just go get a compression gauge and check compression across the board...... if that's fine, then look elsewhere
  3. Offline

jox_rolla Guest

Message Count:
    Huge Huge Huge Problem

i have a knocking in my head and it happened on my last engine that threw a rod bc of this and i need to figure what the hell it is or im screwed it eats oil and i notice it more at top end of the gears I think it is the oil pump causing this shit any ideas its a 98 izz-fe by the way i also have a cracked exhaust maniofold but im bout to put the obx header on it instead and i have a belt now for no a/c very nice EXCEPT for the damn KNOCKING?!?!

help help
  4. Offline

Montana Guest

Message Count:
    Any smoke out the tail-pipe?

What actually "blew" in the last engine? What component failed?
  5. Offline

jox_rolla Guest

Message Count:
    threw a rod in the last one from the lack of oil and the knocking it smokes a little when im at full throttle thats burnt piston rings though i do believe but there is no signs of leakage on the motor ............
  6. Offline

sins New Member

Message Count:
    take it to a mechanic... no... seriously.
  7. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    better get the credit card handy......no...seriously.
  8. Offline

steve403 New Member

Message Count:
    full throttle? Meaning you put the pedal to the metal? Haha thats prolly the reason. You abused your engine. Now its time to pay.
  9. Offline

d_samurai Guest

Message Count:
    how many miles on car?
  10. Offline

CadetLee Guest

Message Count:
    I run up to 6000rpm almost daily....156,000+ on the engine, and it runs great..
  11. Offline

alby13 New Member

Message Count:
    i floor my 93 every day. 163K+ miles running strong.

clean the carbon! [IMG]
  12. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    my 2001 engine died with 68 k on it
  13. Offline

CadetLee Guest

Message Count:
    For those of you who have had engines die..was it due to lack of maintenance (oil, etc), or did it randomly crap out on you?
  14. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    I hated when mine died, I was doing oil changes every 2500. Mine was burnning oil for som reason but all is well now with my rebuilt engine. I only have 1500 or so miles on her now. i think I just had a lemon off the get go.
  15. Offline

CorollaULEV Guest

Message Count:
    I redline my 03 all the time also (50,000 miles). Still get 200psi on all four cylinders and great power, meaning the rings and valves are in good shape :)

Redlining the engine won't hurt a thing as long as you take care of the engine and aren't all stoopit about it. The way I see it - if 6450rpms would hurt something, Toyota would have just lowered the redline/fuel cut to where it wouldn't hurt anything.

Trav
  16. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    well, for those with pre ZZ corolla's, you need to realize the A series motors don't have the oil sludging issues that the newer toyota's do (mainly it was a camry issue)... but apparently the 1zz might have issues as well
  17. Offline

CorollaULEV Guest

Message Count:
    Put an oil pressure gauge on it. Check it....like pronto.

You should run around 80-90psi cold idle, 15psi warm idle, 43-75psi @ 3000rpms (warm). Thing is, if you have only one bearing that goes bad, it WILL cause a SYSTEM WIDE drop in oil pressure. That's why main, rod and camshaft bearings have to be accurate to 1/10000th of an inch. If one bearing space is only slightly too wide, oil pressure drops everywhere else, too - and then you end up with many bearings failing, worn rings and ultimately, the engine self-destructs.

In my experience, burnt/worn rings won't really cause knocking. They WILL cause smoking (possibly) and poor performance from low compression.

A knock that gets worse as the engine heats up is most likely a spun rod bearing.

Trav
  18. Offline

Live2drum New Member

Message Count:
    man corollaulev...nice.. its nice to see someone that really knows their stuff..rep+
  19. Offline

CadetLee Guest

Message Count:
    After how long would this problem arise?

156k and counting...
  20. Offline

Corolla DX-R AE100

Message Count:
    i redline my car all the time and no problem and she still runs really quiet... A-series engine is awesome
  21. Offline

jox_rolla Guest

Message Count:
    mine is a 98 and i dont redline it or wot all the time but the oil burns up and the manifold is cracked??