1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY How to replace a exterior door handle (98~02 corollas) by SaberJ2X!

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by SaberJ2X, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    How to replace a exterior door handle (98~02 corollas) by SaberJ2X!

OK since this site has a DIY and I want contribute SOMETHING into it, I thought it might be usefull to post my "change the broken door handle" DIY...

so... here it goes... (piccies will be up shortly)( imageshack is bitchy)

[IMG]
    first as you can see my door handle is pretty much broken...

[IMG]
    I then got my tools...
    a screwdriver (phillips)
    another screwdrivers, for prying a bit (flat)
    a cricket, the thing you change the metric and imperial heads? lol (of which later it will br proved inneficcient compared too...)
    a wrench (10mm)!

[IMG]
    first, we need to get out the inner door handle screw....

[IMG]
    then remove the arm rest, where you pull to close the door, be careful when prying it out

[IMG]
    then we remove the 2 screws below the arm rest...

[IMG]
    then we take out the door panel, you first have to pull it the way around the frame, plastic thingies that lock into the metal are around and I always forget about them xD

[IMG]
    we remove the power connector from the door... in my case it's only 1...

[IMG]
    ok, we now look at the door handle from inside, and remove the first obvious screw (oh stupid cricket...)

[IMG]
    by now I realyzed my cricket wasn't going to be much help, so here goes our improved hero, a wrench...

[IMG]
    now...
    we remove 2 more screws... that holds the locks..

[IMG]
    we change the handle, remove the metal pin that holds the latch to the outer door handle and pull, it's broken, don't fear about breaking it :p, then go from the outside, push the upper part, and slide out bottom out first.

[IMG]
    put the new one, DUNNOT put the metal clip thingy on the door handle yet... that's last... slide the top part first, then the bottom.... then you screw the side with only 1 bolt, then you go around, put the key on the key thingy (this way it stays more stable) and then you line up the 2 hole with the ones in the handle and bolt them back in.

[IMG]
    enjoy your door!