1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

How to paint the dash kit?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by fufu13, May 14, 2003.

1. Offline

fufu13 Guest

Message Count:
    How to paint the dash kit?

I was thinking about buying a metallic dash kit, however i have one of those black things to protect my dash board, and i replaced the stereo. I was wondering if anyone could give me directions on how to paint my dash or if peeps think it would be easier to just buy the stick on kit
  2. Offline

yeye Guest

Message Count:
    What black thing are u talkin abt :?: ?
  3. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Are you talking about painting the whole top dash part? or just peices?

Look at getting a sheet of vinyl in the color you want and use that.
  4. Offline

fufu13 Guest

Message Count:
    I knew i explained it wrong... okay how do you paint just the pieces, like the ac and stereo part. hehe
  5. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    pull the part off, sand it if you want, or just use some primer. when it dires paint it the color you want. use many small light coats so it is strong and wont flake off.
  6. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    if you wanna paint it and the color is available in krylon fusion, just take the piece off and paint it with that, also keep in mind, dont use any armor all b4 u paint or stick vinyl and if you take pieces off, use dish soap and warm water to wash and then let air dry to get any grease and gunk off of them.

good luck

Achint
  7. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    in case ppl cant find the fusion paint, its at walmart, i had a hell of a time looking for it, but didnt think to check at wall mart. anyways, i painted mine, it looks decent out of the car, gonna wait till i put it in. I touched one of the sides on the panel that surrounds the shifter, dont know how to fix it. i think i'll see if i can sand it or something to make it look even. if any of you have any ideas, let me know
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    if u touched it when it was wet, use a very fine grit sand paper and then sand it down. also how long have u had it painted, did u notice any chipping or pealing of the paint, i'm kinda deciding between painting and doing vinyl covers...
  9. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    i just did it tonite, no chipping yet, gonna put it in tomorrow morning, see how it looks. i'll post some pics if its decent,
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    what color did u do, also did u paint over the black stuff, was there any discoloring problems. by black stuff, i mean the center console. keep me posted, i'm gonna do this insead of vinyl if it looks better and i dont need sanding and priming.
    lat-R
    Achint
  11. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    i did navy, they have the patriotic blue, but it seemed a little loud. so i tried navy. and yea right over the black part, the can siad no priming or sanding anyways, so i did sprayed it straight on. It looks nice now, has a good gloss after drying for 11 hrs. I'm gonna put it in today, hopefully it doesnt look hideous. i might have to touch up a few parts. REmember to keep the part level so that the paint doesnt drip or puddle to one side, thats what messed me up. other than its straight forward
  12. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    alright guys heres the result, looks good enuf to me, still needs work, so i'll take it off later sand it and then repaint a fresh coat, but i put it on cause i needed to drive the car.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  13. Offline

stylin Guest

Message Count:
    good job bud, that looks really nice. I'm gonna get to painting the console in the next few weeks.
  14. Offline

rolla03 Guest

Message Count:
    Nice job. Looks real good :D
  15. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    i cleaned it up the console a little bit and i painted the side vents, check my car domain for pics. also how do i pop the trim out around the stereo. i checked the DIY for the stereo install and i dont have that screw that is shown. and ideas ppl?
  16. Offline

Baby Lex Guest

Message Count:
    Your dash looks sweet! 8)
  17. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    thanx baby lex

anyone get any ideas on how to pop out the trim around the radio?
  18. Offline

93chromedaytona Guest

Message Count:
    You have to take out the compartments that you have already painte, which you obviously know how to do, then tilt your ac vents all the way down and grab on to the side of the vent wall and just pull out. That's how I got mine out. It is kind of hard to get out, but I have had mine out a couple of times.
  19. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    ok cool, cause i didnt see the screws that were shown in the DIY, but i'll try pulling at it.
  20. Offline

yin_yang Guest

Message Count:
    do u need any kind of clear coat or anything to make it glossy and shinY? or does it just give a good shine after the paint is done? and what kinda paint? regular can paint or spray paint?

and u guys said there was a DIY on how to get the pieces out?
  21. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    i used krylon fusion spray paint made for plastic, available at wal mart. i didnt put primer the parts or anything, just sprayed straight on. you could spray a clear coat on, but i didnt. i should i guess cause it attracts a lot of dust with it being so dark, so i'll see if clear coat will help a lil. the diy is here:
    the first couple of steps show you how to take teh parts off. just very simple, but make sure you keep your parts level when you spray them, so the paint doesnt run and pool up.
  22. Offline

yin_yang Guest

Message Count:
    cool thanks a ton...ill prolly do this this weekend.
  23. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    no prob, i'm gonna finish up my trim around the radio tonite hopefully.
  24. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    well i tried to get the radio trim out, but knowing my luck, i had the hardest f***ing time. This is how it looks under there, its not the same as its shown in the DIY. Mines different for some reason, and i think other ppl's might be the same. THis is how it looks.
    [IMG]

See those 4 labeled bolts, you gotta take those off to take out the radio. #2 and #3 are a little bit in, but you'll see them with a flashlight. well with my luck i dropped one of em. so that took about 30 min to find inside the gear area. then when i tried to pop out the stereo, i almost popped the face plate off and all sorts of stuff happened. so i didnt bother, and i put it back in before i destroyed anything else. But if anyone wants to know how to take it out, i posted the pics. make sure you pull slowly after you take the bolts out. theres also 2 cables at the back of teh head unit that are plugged in, so dont yank the radio out. you can just grab at the vents on the right and left of the radio and pull out slowly.
  25. Offline

yin_yang Guest

Message Count:
    i just finished painting mine as well...and i came across the same problem...instead of screws (as per the diy) i found bolts...way back in an annoying place. and i couldnt find my extension on my socket wrench, so i have to come back to this tomorrow..which is a pain in the butt, cuz i just finished painting all the rest including the side vents, AND the window/lock button panels. to have to go back and do this as well. i think the face plate is SUPPOSED to pop off..but dont quote me, i think thats what makes it even easier to paint it.

otherwise, im very excited to see how the finished product will look in my car.
  26. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    yea i tried to pull it straight out, but its clipped onto the stereo i think. so its tougher than it looks. i'd rather take the safe way out and not break any clips. i got my center console painted, and my two side vents painted after i got the center console painted. i dont see a color difference between the two different jobs, which is good. i'll do the window control panel later. lemme know if it looks good
  27. Offline

yin_yang Guest

Message Count:
    just woke up early to put them in before work....it looks NICE...thanks for the idea...cuz now he interior has such a cool accent to it now....im determined to paint the top vent trim tho LOL...so ill prolly buy a new extension today.
  28. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    haha good luck, remember dont take the bolts out by the extension, use your hand when youre about to pull the bolt out, thats how mine droppped. i was like "the bolt will stay in the extension". nope, it fell right as soon as i got it out of that little area, and down into the gear box area
  29. Offline

yin_yang Guest

Message Count:
    ive always done that out of habit (unscrewing screws/bolts by hand at the last part)...i think its always been more impatience than good habit forming LOL.

i got a new extension right now..and ill try it when i get home from work. i just noticed in the daylight that some of the paint got past my tape barrier in some small but noticable to ME spots...so im gonna have to take a qtip and some paint thinner to that when i get home as well. clean up any mistakes.
  30. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    yea the paint always some how makes it past the tape. did you paint your AC control area or not? if you did, i wanna see how it looks. how did your lock/window panel turn out? post some pics. wanna see wat other ppl's looks like