1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

How much does a camper shell weigh?

Discussion in 'Truck & SUV' started by JspeXAE102, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    How much does a camper shell weigh?

Since the Taco forum is dead I'll ask it here. My dad wants to take the camper shell off his 02 double cab. Does anybody know the approx weight of that thing? How many peole would it take to lift the thing off? It's a Leer camper shell with glass on all 4 sides.
  2. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    I would throw a 100~120 pound estimate if it's metal body 70~80 if it's fiberglass
  3. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    We have just a locking tonneau cover (hard, fibreglass) on a Dakota double cab - that weighs about 100-110lbs by itself. A campter top with glass sides will be atleast 50% or more - estimating the weight compared to our Dakota, probably very similar in dimensions to a double cab Tacoma.

Defintely a two person job, not only because of the weight, also due to the unwieldy dimensions of that camper top as well. Also, most cabs use a foam tape around the perimeter to seal out the weather - the cap might be "stuck" to the tape, making it a pain to lift off the bed. You can work around the bed with a putty knife to free the cap from the tape - if you do not plan on saving the old tape. Just be careful not to nick the top of the bed or the bottom of the cap.
  4. Offline

JLee TD05 3SGTE

Message Count:
    I have a camper shell w/glass on my Tacoma - it's not very heavy..but as suggested above, it's easily a two person job due to the size of the shell.