1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

How do you get over a rough patch?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hummer, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    How do you get over a rough patch?

I've been having a rough time lately with a bunch of things going on all at once, and I gotta say I just feel completely drained and stressed the hell out. No matter how hard I try to get my mind off things and stay on the path I keep drifting off it and my only escape at the moment is to drink or hit up the bars... My friends have helped me as much as they can by talking to me and trying to cheer me up, but theres only so much they can do.. So what do you do to get over the problem areas in life?
  2. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    don't turn yourself into an alcoholic.

i go for a walk, or get myself lost in a book. maybe start running? it's cheap, less the cost of a proper pair of shoes.
  3. Offline

DaCubanSkillz Active Member

Message Count:
    I agree with Laura. Don't turn into an alcoholic.

For the last 4 and a half years I've been dealing with alot of things when it comes to life. being married makes my wife and I a whole. So whatever one of us goes through, we both have to deal with it.

My wife had cancer and overcame it in 2006 (not even a month after we got married she was diagnosed). Then she injured herself a few times. The latest one was two years ago and we now have to deal with workers comp who doesn't want to pay for her treatments and we have to deal with lawyers. Imagine going to get your meds that you need and find out they're denied just cause they feel you don't need it.

So instead of stressing it all, we try and make the best of it, which you can do as well. Although she's on crutches, we try and go out whenever we can and enjoy the night. If we can get away for the weekend, we will. I'll even bring her along to photoshoots and have her just hold a reflector for me. Just so she gets out of the house and does something.

Just keep yourself busy. That always helps when you're stressed or worried about things. Find a hobby cause that'll keep you busy as well.

Whatever it is that you're going through, good luck and I'm sure it'll all work out just fine.
  4. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Number one - don't beat yourself up too much. $hit happens, best to rise above it and get your head clear. Alot will depend on your personality - everyone hits a rough patch from time to time. It order to get out of that patch, you need to look forward.

Set goals, start with simple/realistic goals, and then keep shifting forward to achieve your next goal. Can be very simple things - like finishing up an old project at home, cleaning up your room, have grape jelly instead of raspberry on your morning toast - anything. Once you accomplish that goal, the feeling of satisfaction from finishing that will push your spirits up. It is a cumulative effect - get little things done and eventually you'll see that you've accomplished quite a bit.

Finding an avenue for escape can be very therapeutic. The example of exercise is a great one - like they say, a fit body = a fit mind. Plus there is little downside compared to other ways to find "escape" - drinking, drugs, videogames, etc.
  5. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    although alcohol is a nice lubricant for the brain, said brain can get addicted to it, enjoy with moderation

find a hobby

swimming, photography, games, fix those nags in the car yourself... etc.

worse you can do is nothing and let your brain eat you up... you know that feeling when your not doing anything and you keep babbling stuff to yourself in the head.
  6. Offline

Salty_Dog Old Fart

Message Count:
    Granddaddy Salty_Dog told me this: As soon as you think a drink can help you, that is the time it can do you the most harm.
  7. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    ^Agree with everything above regarding alcohol.
    Same with exercise, I go to the driving range and knock some golf balls around to get my mind off things.
  8. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    the best thing to do is suck it up, deal with it and move on. i know people that just let things get to them and drag on and on and on and they end up miserable. you can go out and exercise, drink or find another hobby, but those don't help you deal with the problem because once you're done with that you still need to face problems.
  9. Offline

DeebsTundra Big Tires :)

Message Count:
    Get away. Get out of the country for at least a couple days. I've been stressed about as far as you can go for the last 8 or so months. I showed up late to work for the 2nd time in 6 years and they decided to fire me. Two days before my scheduled vacation to Toronto. Decided fuck it, I really need those couple days with friends up there. Got away from Denver, and I feel alot better and more relaxed.
  10. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Thats my problem, I have too much time and too much nothing to do, I usually find my self going for a long drive in the country or around town. I hate sitting at home watching TV especially because its not interactive and wont keep my brain from thinking about all these things. I recently did start taking up running, I've always been a runner I would run every night all summer and it really is a great way to get your mind off things, but you can only run for so long.
    Thanks for the ideas, I try not to rely on alcohol too much, and hope I get over this quick... :/
  11. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    dont be a pussy. hit the bottle.
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    how are you with electronics? you could start inventing/creating/"fixing"/improving things. makezine has tons of ideas.
  13. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    I love to tinker with electronics, cars, other things, I would rather do it my self than pay some one else to do it.

If you give up drinking, then your just a QUITER. :)

I'm Russian, drinking is in my blood.

Oh and a little update, today one of my, main stressors was kind of put at ease... With out going into too much detail I was being miss lead by someone who was getting into my head about things causing me to constantly question every little thing. But today I confronted them about it and even though the truth was not what I wanted to hear, at least now I know, and can finally put my mind at ease, and to be honest it feels great. Feels like my little brain motor was constantly revving and about to explode, but now I'm at a relatively decent idle.
  14. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    this is a good idea. when im stressed out i drink some scotch and organize 3tb of shit on my comps...its actually fun and time consuming.
  15. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Everyone has those times/days/periods in their life. If im not mistaken, you're either just out of college or still in, so you (and I) are young and have lots ahead of us.

Live and learn. Whatever dont kill you SHOULD make you a better person. Eat, drink, love.

great advise :superconf
  16. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Sounds like you like to live a jerry springer life :)

[IMG]
  17. Offline

Message Count:
    dude. you've got a goldmine at your fingertips. start making stuff.
  18. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    ahaaha dont tempt me!
  19. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Rough patch? 4x4 or AWD. :)
  20. Offline

DjiNN New Member

Message Count:
    You know what gets me back into the zone? driving. If you want to join me and some subaru guys we are going to be doing some rally driving this Sept 11th. Hit me up if your interested.
  21. Offline

svrolla Member

Message Count:
    honestly,, i just get out my kong bong, pack a fatass bowl of some bomb ass bubba kush..and go for a nice drive miles away..

feels amazing
  22. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    ooo, fun, I wanna come! too bad I work that day :/. where at though?
  23. Offline

Message Count:
    yer so kewl omg
  24. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Definitely don't start drinking too much, just masturbate :)
  25. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
  26. Offline

Edwin562 SWAG MASTER

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    98 180sx
    idk why but when i read the title, i was thinking about rough patches on the road or something... lol

BTW. dude dont over stress yourself.... life is too short... enjoy it.... have fun with family... or go drop in a SBC350 on the 8th gen... do something productive... no retarded... you will get out of it and will be stress free.. i know it..
    keep your head up buddy.
  27. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Good encouraging post right there. I'm with him. Life is too short.^^