1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

HID and DRL

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by Blk03Corolla, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    HID and DRL

Ok I know we have talked about this before but is it necesary to disable the DRL's to get an HID kit. If so how hard is this to do. I mean would it take me an hour and is there any difficulty or what? CorollasBest you should come down and you can do your fog light trick too :)
  2. Offline

[TRD]Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    yes DRL needs to be disabled for HID to be working or you will burnout hte ballast
  3. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Which is the best way to do the disable?
  4. Offline

cool_beans00 New Member

Message Count:
    The easiset way is to just use a wiring harness connected directly to the battery as the source. This doesn't disable the DRLs but it gives the ballast the full 12 volts to function properly and not burn out. That is what i did and it works fine... I can show pictures if you want....
  5. Offline

CorollaX Guest

Message Count:
    haha.. i got my HID without disabling my DRL and gues wat? my HID started to strobe! haha since there's not enough wattage going thro the ballast.. so then i turned off my life and then i did the ebrake trick. only problem now is my brake light is always on.. sucks..
  6. Offline

Tro1086 Guest

Message Count:
    In my opinion the best and easiest way to disable the DRL is the yellow wire trick. Clip the yellow wire that is comming out of the DRL relay box, and ground it. Then your lights function just like normal lights.
  7. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Yea that is what I am going to do. Thanks for posting though. Seems like definitly the best and cleanest way.
  8. Offline

Tro1086 Guest

Message Count:
    Ya, in my opinion its the best. Before i found it i did it my own way where i used a switch to completely cut power to the relay box. So when the switch was off, no headlights, even if you turned the headlight switch on, then if you turned my switch on it would just be like normal again.

But the yellow wire trick really is the best, after a while you will just forget you ever had DRL, i did. They function just like normal lights, its pretty nice!
  9. Offline

rja Guest

Message Count:
    What is this yellow wire trick you guys are talking about? How and where do I find out how to do this? Also, what is this fog light thing Blk03Corolla is talking about?
  10. Offline

Tenchi New Member

Message Count:
    Go to www.corollatoys.org and under the DIY, look for "DRL Disable with Switch."