1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Tech HDD... would you or wouldnt you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ares, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    HDD... would you or wouldnt you?

spend extra $ on a 7.2k rpm hdd for a laptop?

Im in the market for a hdd since this laptop only has 20gb o_O and vista already takes up 18gig...
  2. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    I'm not sure about laptop HDD, but for desktop HDD 7,200 rpm is standard. Its worth it depending on the price difference. If its only a little then get it, because it will search and retrieve files faster.
  3. Offline

dward3 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    it depends whether your laptop will recognizes a larger hard drive < 20GB. What brand/model laptop you have anyways?
  4. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    also may eat more power than a 5400 rpm drive. in a desktop who cares, but a laptop it may cut your battery life by 20 minutes
  5. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    I actually really want a 7200rpm drive for my laptop. For me personally, its performance > battery life. My laptop is usually plugged into the wall anyways and I have three batteries so not like I'm too worried.
  6. Offline

whydontyouchoos KFM

Message Count:
    how do you only have 20GB?:confused:

i personally have 500GB at 7200 in my laptop
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    You probably have the seagate. I want to get a 320gb WD Scorpio Black but not sure because I really need some more space on my desktop so I may end up getting a 1tb Caviar Black for the desktop instead.
  8. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    first off this laptop would carry more than 20gig. i bought it from someone who replaced the dead oem hdd with this. he was selling it for 200$ (2.0 core duo w/ 1gig of ram) i thought it was a steal so i bought it. people still sell single core laptops for around that price...

good point cb. i never thought about it that way. imho laptops are made to be "anytime anywhere" so cutting battery supply does not seem to do it for me.

plus, a little patience should cover the slower seek/read/write times.

Thanks everyone!
  9. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    yeah I have a 5400 rpm sata and I'm sticking with that speed. some upgrades (like core 2 duo installs) don't eat any more power, but a faster drive certainly will. also I find it helps to fully discharge your battery once a month. normally with a lithium-ion battery you want to drain it half way.. or less, then recharge for maximum life. but, every so often you gotta do a full discharge to help it loose any memory (stores more power again)
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    To prolong the life of a Li-Ion, you shouldn't completely discharge it. That is only necessary for NiMH batteries and do not concern Li-Ion's.
  11. Offline

WhitePearl New Member

Message Count:
    yea i dont think u would notice the difference with the speed, and the battery life thing is important on a laptop, reguardless if its plugged in 95% of the time. Its the 5% that u will thank u have a 5400. I have (2) 200gb sata 5400rpm in my laptop, pushing a core 2 duo. my battery life is about 60 mins~
  12. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Stick with the 5400 RPM. There's no real need for a faster HDD. btw, why Vista. Nuke it and run XP Pro. Then you can decide whether or not you want to upgrade to a larger HDD.
  13. Offline

dtrue Member

Message Count:
    fuk it add a 120gb as the main drive and 1tb as the 2nd drive and just throw everything on there and run Windows 7 even though its in beta still lol, thats what i did
  14. Offline

Message Count:
    We are talking about laptops here. There is no such thing as a 1Tb laptop hard drive.
  15. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    The largest laptop hdd is a 500 GB and it's not cheap since it's still fairly new.
  16. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    I will do some research and make another thread about that. Being new to this laptop world opens new doors of knowledge for me lol...