1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Have you experienced this....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dns637, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Offline

dns637 Guest

Message Count:
    Have you experienced this....

We were on our way to LA couple of days ago...
    I was going 80 mph down hill
    so i decided to slow down...

I gently held on the brake until my speed reduces to 75
    as i was gently stepping on the brake and waited for my speed to go down to 75.... the engine suddenly revved and stayed at 4k rpm
    SURPRISINGLY!!! MY SPEED ALSO STAYED AT 75 MPH...
    my speed and the revving of the engine was stuck for atleast 15 - 20 secs.
    i stepped on the brake really hard but it was stiff....it seems like it was lock

imagine this i was going down hill....while this was happening...

has any of experienced this???
  2. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Some people have had this happen. Here's what toyota says:
  3. Offline

bimmernut Guest

Message Count:
    Is your car an auto or stick? And at the time, was the cruise control engaged?
  4. Offline

TRD-MX83 Guest

Message Count:
    I've had that happen as well... no cruise control was not ON.

I was on a downhill as well doing about 80.. saw some slow traffic infront of me, so I lightly stepped on the brakes, and the tranny shifted out of OD and I was at 4k rpm. I think the automatic tranny was down shifting for me to slow the car down? I thought that was a weird instance... it hasn't happend since... but then I usually throw the tranny into "N" when I go down the hill...
  5. Offline

monkeyscanbiteu Guest

Message Count:
    i just read about subaru doing a recall on a bunch of wrx's for the possibility of that happening - a malfunction with the cruise control cabling. said it could happen with or without the cruise control being on. sounds exactly like that was the same problem. id take it in to toyota, you dont want to risk that happening again.
  6. Offline

bigdaddyk Guest

Message Count:
    I've noticed that when going down hill, no matter what the speed is, my car will sometimes downshift. I've had friends who work on cars tell me that newer model cars have a feature like this for power braking. They sense the car picking up speed without using the accelerator, so they downshift to keep the car's speed under control and help brake. But it's always worth checking into when it seems out of the ordinary and just to be safe.
  7. Offline

dns637 Guest

Message Count:
    well, i took my car to a toyota dealer near me to get it checked up...
    they test drove the car on a up hill near their place but never duplicated the
    incident that happened...they couldn't figure what the problem is because
    they couldn't find any pending codes on their system and also because the
    "CHECK ENGINE" wasn't lighting up...and so they end up w/ a conclusion
    that there's a possibility that it could be my "FLOOR MAT" getting stuck on
    the very top of the brake pedal...so they suggested to remove the floor mat and if it ever happens again they want to check the car...

i was also thinking how could a car accelerate while your foot is on the brake??
  8. Offline

SquirrelMaster New Member

Message Count:
  9. Offline

vancitylover Guest

Message Count:

I've noticed this too. but it usually only happens when i'm going over 80 kph
  10. Offline

bigdaddyk Guest

Message Count:
    dns637: I was just wondering if the reving that you are experiencing might be from the car downshifting in order to power brake, causing a spike in the rpms or does your car seem to be trying to accelerate even when you are putting your foot on the brake? If I'm going downhill and have my foot off the accelerator or use the brake, my car will downshift to help slow the car down so it doesn't continue to accelerate. I've never had any problems with the brake seeming like its sticking. Also, if you have factory floor mats, I don't think they go far enough back to get stuck on the brake pedal. If you keep having problems, check with another dealer to see what they can do.
  11. Offline

TRD-MX83 Guest

Message Count:
    I agree... for me I thought it was the tranny using engine braking to slow the car down so I won't have to use as much braking power.
  12. Offline

bigdaddyk Guest

Message Count:
    By the way, I forgot to specify in my posts that mine is an auto trans.