1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Has a CAI improved your gas mileage?

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by c0d3r, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Offline

c0d3r Guest

Message Count:
    Has a CAI improved your gas mileage?

Just a quick poll for you CAI owners.
    And please post what CAI you have.

If so by how much?

And this is sort of a repost but the other simlar post(topic 5184) was not getting much of a response so I wondered if a poll would.
  2. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    well i have a SRI, and it sure helped my gas mileage
  3. Offline

dominator 04 Rolla 5spd.

Message Count:
    I installed my Injen (Race Division) CAI at beginning of fall, so with worsening conditions (colder + snow accumulations), it's nearly impossible to determine it's effect on fuel mileage, especially with the following extra mods (TB boring, intake manifold and intake ports cleaning, polishing and matching...I beleive it has less effect on fuel mileage than the change in driving habits it may cause.
  4. Offline

OC Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    Maybe I am thinking incorrectly but I thought a CAI would decrease gas mileage assuming it has any effect at all. I guess I am basing my assumption on another assumption: that you can't get performance for free, meaning you pay for the benefits of a CAI with a decrease in gas mileage. I have no clue how large or small the gains of a CAI are so I dunno how much to expect your gas mileage to go down. Anyone know?

Decreased gas mileage is the ONLY reason I haven't bought a CAI yet. If it doesn't decrease mileage I'm gonna go get one.... TODAY. :D
  5. Offline

604racing Guest

Message Count:
    The reason why I think it decreased the gas mileage because once you hear the cool sound the CAI makes, you will be so tempting to floor it at every light. Secondly, you will use more gas since you gained power. More power= more gas consumed.
  6. Offline

OC Rolla Guest

Message Count:
    Damn, I was hoping I wasn't right so I could go out and buy a CAI. :(
  7. Offline

pkpss Guest

Message Count:
    IIRC AESC had a jump in MPG with the CAI. I think I was getting good results MPGwise as well cause I was driving a bit hard when I first installed it and was getting 30+ MPG.
  8. Offline

vancitylover Guest

Message Count:
    what type of milage were you getting before you installed it?
  9. Offline

pkpss Guest

Message Count:
    30+ but that was when driving conservatively. When driving hard with the CAI, I was still getting 30+. I haven't tried to drive too conservative with the CAI yet cause like 604 said, it's hard to not full throttle after hearing the sound. :twisted:
  10. Offline

MrDisco99 Guest

Message Count:
    What's this "sound" you're all referring to? I'm intrigued.
  11. Offline

pkpss Guest

Message Count:
    TRD refers to it as a "deep, throaty" sound. I go VVVVRRRROOOOOOOM. hehehe, serious though, kinda hard to explain.
  12. Offline

c0d3r Guest

Message Count:
    The biggest MPG gain would be in the summer when the temps hover around 95-100 degrees right?