1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

got some quick struts

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by darkgamer1912, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    got some quick struts

so i orderd a set of quick struts cuz i wasnt looking for anything special just wanted to be able to take more than 3 people in my car again without my wheels rubbing. well i got them from rock auto and ive orded from them b4 but i was shocked when i recieved them this morning

this is what i get
    [IMG]
    love the fist size holes in the boxes they weren't even pack in anything just floating around in box. my dad says i should send them back for ones that aren't as damaged looking but idk what i should do

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    theres 3 nuts and 2 bolts
    umm no idea what these are for but i was hoping u guys can help

heres what the strut top on my car now looks like
    [IMG]
    there are 3 studs but on the monroe one there are 2 studs and 2 other holes for what i think is the bolts. they do fit in there but then what are the nuts for? no idea anyone else done these before.

one last thing i was reading the instructions it says u need a spring compressor but do i need one to put these in, wont they just fit when i take the olds one out?
  2. Offline

Phan Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1985 Maxima Blue RIP, 2000 Corolla White SOLD, 1993 300zx Conv. Pearl White DD, 2004 350z Roadster Pearl White DD
    "The Professionals Choice"
  3. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    yah i love that its so professional lol
  4. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    You don't need a spring compressor, and I guess the extra bolts are if one breaks you can press a new one in. Spring and strut assemblies are pretty tough, I don't think you will get a better product if you exchange it. I think it will just be a pain.
  5. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    looks fine to me
  6. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    meh. this takes out the fun of spending more time and effort and loving your car... not to mention all that work I had to put in compressing those springs... without power tools, compressing springs are a hassle.
  7. Offline

dae0311 New Member

Message Count:
    quik struts

darkgamer1912 did u get all four? I'm think I'm gonna put Moog springs in the rear. I have the Tein H lowering springs but they rub in the rear.
  8. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    ok thanks for the info with the nuts there is 2 welded in bolts on the strut which im assuming is for a different setup cuze its a toyota/gm strut so thats what im goin for. the only thing im hoping is that the treads on my struts now work on the new one and thats not what the nuts are for because im missing one then of which rock auto may or may not be able to send me one. also monroe is stupid the rockauto guy called them and they said all i should have is the a bolt in each so idk what the nuts are for

and no i only got the back becuase those are the worst, i wasnt looking for any real performance setup i just wanted to have my car not rub and be able to take people again so this is the easiest way in my mind. but im starting to get the idea my fronts are bad too there just not as easy to tell. my steering wheel shakes like a bitch on certain highway roads . i know that might be alignment or wheels but still its about time. 128k miles on an 01, and my driving indy style round corners dont help lol
  9. Offline

darkgamer1912 Member

Message Count:
    i was also considering replacing the sway bar links becuase those are orignal too there like 40 bucks from toyota each, do u guys think its worth it to too.