1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Geography Preference

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by CPat, Jun 16, 2005.

?

What would you rather live through?

Hurricane 0 vote(s) 0.0%
Earthquake 16 vote(s) 100.0%
  1. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    Geography Preference

Ok guys, I had a conversation and a debate, and it was thought to put it up to see what the general opinion is of the people on vvt-i.

Would you rather live through a hurricane or an earthquake?

My thought is that with a hurricane, you get canned food, and flashlights, and you watch it come closer on TV, and you have time to get drunk, and you board up the windows and you PREPARE for it, and if you can't prepare, you evacuate.
    With an earthquake, you don't know when it'll hit, it just hits, and it doesn't matter what you're doing when it hits...in the shower, or driving, or eating, or working, or walking down stairs....you just don't know.
  2. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    i dunno why, but i think it would be more fun to go through an earthquake than a hurricane cuz ive been through a strong hurricane b4 n that was so weak, just a bunch of wind n rain n flooding....n if ur askin which id rather live through, id choose an earthquake, cuz hurricanes are almost common place now to live through...
  3. Offline

SlowRolla97 New Member

Message Count:
    Hard decision, but after getting hit be those hurricanes last year, Id say Id go through a earthquake. The hurricanes were flat out scary and going without power for weeks SUCKED!
  4. Offline

IS-Rolla Toyota Forever

Message Count:
    i agree 100%...earthquake warnings are non excistent...
    id rather be prepared for hurricanes..knowing its coming
    having experienced both....earthquakes scare the shit out of me.... :eek:
  5. Offline

rice cracker VVT-i's Cracker

Message Count:
    I'd rather have to deal with earthquakes. The BIG ones are rare and the "day-to-day" ones are not anything to get worked up over. Plus, I'd rather have my house split down the middle and sitting in the same spot than blown apart and laying two blocks down the street :)
  6. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    I voted Hurricane... just because I have plenty of experience living through them (**knocks on wood)

...Im from South Florida
  7. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    Been through only one hurricane thank God wasn't a pleasant experience that's for sure and well earthquake was even worse....back in January 25th 99 I still lived back in my country (Pereira,Colombia to be exact) and there was an earthquake of 8 in the scale that killed almost 1/2 my family and friends.... devastating day for me, my family and other close loved ones and obviously not an experience I wish for anyone ever.
  8. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    I'm very sorry to hear about your friends and family. I fortunately never lived through a big earthquake during my time in Seattle (8 years), but I had to live with worrying about earthquake drills and the little "survival bags" that are kept in every class room. Just the stress of that was enough to make me know I'd rather not go through a big earthquake. I went through all the hurricanes last year in Florida, and I know none of them came directly over Ft. Lauderdale, but I still think they weren't quite as bad as an earthquake.
  9. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    You left out tornado regions.

I would rather go through an earthquake or hurricane than a tornado.
  10. Offline

Message Count:
    word....i live in tornado alley and in the 16 years that ive lived here, ive seen one actual tornado and one gust-nado (a tornado that doesnt have enough wind speed to be categorized but still causes some destruction....kinda hard to explain) its freaky as hell to see either one cuz the sky starts rotating, no rain, and all of a sudden it dips down....but oklahoma has one of the most advanced weather radars ive ever seen....
  11. Offline

burbod01 New Member

Message Count:
    earthquakes are a joke compared to hurricanes? how can you possibly want to live through a hurricane instead? just because you know it is coming? that is silly
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    im not really sure who youre referring to to but ill be in that person's defense......would you rather be blind folded and tackled by a big football player and not know he's coming....or....not be blind folded and know what to expect so you have time to buckle down??.....same concept....
  13. Offline

Cuztomrollaz98 MAD VLAD!

Message Count:
    I dk natural disasters are a bizniatch but nothing u can do but try and wait it out and or protect urself in the best way possible from them u kno.... I dk I guess that's the only reason y I like Colorado cuz something rarely happens here even though in any moment anything COULD happen but the probability is less than other places
  14. Offline

IS-Rolla Toyota Forever

Message Count:
    well, everybody has their own fears...not knowing whats coming is one of mine. i dont know what experience you have on either hurricanes or earthquakes, but i know for a fact that earthquakes have taken from me a lot more than hurricanes...and i'm not talking about small quakes which i guess occur regularly in the west coast. so call me silly, maybe i am...but thats just me...
  15. Offline

FINALMIX In the Mix...

Message Count:
    Florida here, enough said.
  16. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    Earthquake!!! They're actually kind of fun if no one gets hurt. Stuff breaks, and it just makes life interesting. We had a 9.5 I beleive... 2 or 3 years ago... WOW! That was so cool, watching the trees sway back and forth. I don't like high winds at all.. We had some nasty tornado weather in MD and in DE some years back... I remember in Sussex county is was flooding everywhere and me and my friend were speeding through flooded sections of the road in my 85 olds cutlass supreme.. ahah like 3 ft of moving water. Knocked down some trees around the house. Never been in a real bad hurricane though. Or tornado...

Definatly earthquake, I don't plan on being in any tall buildings and most of the buildings around here are built for that stuff...

And really, shit happens and you can't do much about it except make the best of it.
  17. Offline

Wyntahchyld The One & Only

Message Count:
    9.5? i highly doubt it was THAT strong. The quake that caused the tsunami back in Dec was in the 9's. The last 9 that hit the continental U.S. was back in the early 1900s, if memory serves.
  18. Offline

statik New Member

Message Count:
    Ah. 7.9 actually. sorry, just going from memory there...

http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/M7.9_quake_2002/M7.9_quake.html
  19. Offline

01rollas New Member

Message Count:
    Deep South, Texas , currently in Okinawa, Japan
    Haha, very true
    Never been through a earthquake so i have no idea how those feel. But hurricanes are quite phenomenal and pretty cool at times that is.
  20. Offline

Dr Tweak Mad Scientist

Message Count:
    My thoughts exactly.
  21. Offline

Paolino SolidTuned

Message Count:
    I'm from Florida, so that just comes with the territory. :)

Then you haven't been through a strong hurricane. :) Its not just wind and rain. You should have been in Miami for Andrew. THAT was a strong hurricane.
  22. Offline

01rollas New Member

Message Count:
    Deep South, Texas , currently in Okinawa, Japan
    Just to imagine i was suppose to move to florida this summer to Ft. Lauderdale to go to school at the Arts Insititue and will not be going since i enlisted, so that is the sucky part about it because i really wanted to go over there.

yeah it was very strong one of the harshest hurricanes to ever hit the US. Me i like water and all sorts of crap that come associated with hurricanes and i am used to all the rain. The only thing that i do not like about it is that it gets very hot beofre it strikes and stays humid for a long while.