1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

General Questions...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ares, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Hey guys, havent been here for a while... Somewhere between work and school and other stuff...

On to the questions...
    1st: has anyone heard of this product: http://www.sprintboostersales.com/detail.cfm?year=2009&make=Toyota&model=Corolla&engine=Gas

It apparently addresses the drive-by-wire issues that I hate. Yes, there is a slight lag on the throttle and I hate it. I'm not looking for performance or whatnot that the site apparently boasts of *which I know are false anyway*

2nd: There is someone selling a silvertop with unknown miles for 1k. He will surely go down to 800, maybe less. Here is his post:
    I really have dreams for the AE82, and this could be the start of a long road.

q1: other than compression tests, what other tests should I be able to do with the engine to know of problems?
    q2: what special parts do I need for the swap?
    q3: although it's dumb, but could I use the tranny I have right now until I find a 6spd?

any other comments and concerns would be highly appreciated.
  2. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Go for it.
  3. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Hard to say for sure on that Silvertop. Since it sat around for some time, would be almost guaranteed that you'd be looking to rebuild that (check for surface corrosion, locked cylinders, etc.). Personally wouldn't try and turn that thing over without taking the head off. If they stored that engine in a bag, that would be a different story. Stored in the open for an extended time is a recipe for adding future problems down the road.

I'd ask and see how long he was in possession of that motor. If he remembers who the vendor was originally. Better pics would help too. If it was me - I'd keep looking. There are lots of decent silvertops still available out there.

As for the link to that sprintbooster - hard to say. From the install instructions, looks like you put in a "box" between the pedal and the throttle servo for $329. That just doesn't sound like a deal to me. Their description of it sounds like it hits full throttle before the pedal actually does. Only thing I can think of that would be able to alter the signal from the OEM throttle pedal (assuming it sends a PWM signal) is a modified comparator circuit which you could build for less than $20. Most electronic pedals use Hall effect sensors generate a voltage that is "compared" to a disciplined voltage waveform, usually a triangle waveform or similar, resulting in a PWM (pulse width modulated) signal. The higher the generated voltage, the wider the pulses are (think higher duty cycle or ON time). So that "box" could be generating a different comparing waveform, one that will output a wider pulse for a given voltage from the pedal. Sort of like adding a throttle cam to a motorcycle (full throttle will less rotation of the handle) or a non-linear cam on a cabled throttlebody (opens throttlebody further/faster for a given cable travel). None of which solve the fundamental issue of feedback / input delay - just makes throttle movements faster/bigger. Personally, I'd pass on that - I'm almost tempted to group that in with those eBay IAT temperature sensor hacks. The DBW system, is just something new that they are preying on.
  4. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Fishexpo comes in and destroys all normal people with his knowledge and epic beard.
    /thread lol
  5. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Im not really 'looking'. Just found this at the local forums and thought about it for a second.

As for the DBW fix, I was doubtful to say the least. I dont really see a fix for replacing a throttle cable.
  6. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    It would be nice to see a lil Ae82 with some balls. :) If I had an older car like that with no rust in good shape, id be all over it! Unfortunately living in wisconsin, most cars around here that are 6-7 years+ older are all rotting out. It kind of sad seeing 8th gens coming into my work and the rear quarter panels are gone or a hole in the trunk from roadsalt.. anyways /rant fix that lil thang up!
  7. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    My car has only 2 rust spots: 1 on the hood (previous owner) and in the front tow hook area.

^ I know how you feel about modding, trust me. But I'm the practical guy that wont start modding til I can afford everything. Plus, I dont want to start modding the obvious (drop and exhaust). I want to do the engine first, then suspension then paint and rice.

Another 2 yrs and I'll probably start...
  8. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Sounds liek a legit ride Ares!
  9. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I still stand by this.
  10. Offline