1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Front tie rods

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hummer, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Front tie rods

Went to an alignment shop today and they refused to do it because i had "loose tie rods" me and a buddy will probably do the install my self, how hard, expensive will it be for some one with good mechanical skills?
  2. Offline

keolaaina Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I'm not sure about are specific car, but you MIGHT need a special tool to remove the ball joint. If not, then a hammer should do it. The rest should be the basic hand tools.
  3. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Hammer thats all if even you need it .... BUt there easy to replace , Corolla is the easiest car to work on .... :)
  4. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    The outer tie rods are easy to replace, if that's what the mechanic was talking about. The inner tie rods need special tools, and you might just want to take it somewhere.
  5. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    YOu can rent tools for free at any Pep boys or Auto Zone :)
  6. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    You do not need to remove the ball joints to replace the outter tierod ends. If they have not been replaced in a while or ever, you might have some difficulty breaking free the jam nut which holds the tierod end tight. We usually have to torch the nut to break it free at work. And a little advice if you dont want to spend extra money aligning the car. Count how many turns it takes to pull the old tierod end off. That way you know how many times to spin the new one back on and the alignment will not be as messed up. If you need any other advice let me know. You might also want to have a grease gun handy considering the new tierod ends will have grease zerks. Good luck!
  7. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    I agree with everyone. The outer tie-rods shouldnt be a problem. If I recall correctly, they actually have a joint "popper" tool you can rent to make life easier as well. Inner tie-rods are a different story. I just had mine done for 450.