1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Front Struts/Springs change logs...

Discussion in 'Stop, Drop & Roll' started by Ares, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Front Struts/Springs change logs...

So I got my manual and started on... Loosened wheel nuts and ready to set on stand.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Since I experienced how tight the lower strut nuts were and how hard it was to remove, I sprayed some of the all purpose lubricant to loosen things up... Before I did the spraying, I wrapped up some parts with plastic.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

And with a toothbrush, I started cleaning... Ill let the lubricant set for hours... I dont intend to start til later in the afternoon anyway...
    [IMG]

O and I also removed the break hose clips and finished making slits to the new struts for easy in/outs of the break lines. Ill start making slits to the old struts later when the sun is not shining on me. :cool:

update:
    God is does this feel like harder than the rear or what... IDK if the springs they gafe me are wrong or something. The new springs look bigger/wider and taller. I cant compress the springs enough for it to fit in the strut/strut mount. Im taking a break and im still just trying to assemble my first strut...

PROBLEM:
    While loosening up the lower strut studs i managed to loosen up the disk rotor. any idea on how to tighten that up?
  2. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    If only my ae82 was that clean... grr lucky you :D
  3. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    sry for theread jack, are you on teins?

and BTW that is a pretty clean ae82 GJ
  4. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    the rotor is kept in place by the caliper and that is kept in place by its own bolts. It is not affected. Just make sure its sitted on the center bore and studs correctly and it'll tighen up as soon as you step on the brake pedal.
  5. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    My prizm? Its on Nex SS full coilovers. If you search the forums you can still find when rollatuner had them on his car.
  6. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Okay. Whew, for a second there I thought I broke something... It took me 5 mins of 110% of my strength to loosen those bottom strut studs. I have only done the driver side and will do the passenger side tomorrow after work...

The new springs were to big for the car. Im guessing their(grammar?) inventory was wrong with the part number for my front springs or they sent me the wrong ones. I will just send it back and get my money back. The old springs will be put back in the car. Ill change to lowering springs in a couple of years anyway. They should still be good til then.

Ill post pix tomorrow since I have to go to work at 7am tom.

Edit: Since I had to take the caliper off I took a peek at my pads. Looks like even wear and tear. Since I forgot to put that grease lubricant on it when I changed it out, I put some on there.
  7. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    yea take some pics for comparison.

for the lower 2 strut bolts/nuts. Try using a long breaker bar or a pipe/jack handle over a ratchet handle to gain additional leverage. I break loose those bolts loose in seconds using my 24" breaker bar with minimal effort.
  8. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Good idea... Kinda too late. I can't believe I didnt think about that. *bangs head on table*

Well I'm finished with putting in the struts. Gave it a short run and everything feels good. Would have been great if those springs fit. I really think they are the wrong part/size.

The bounce is even on all 4 wheels. Only real difference is the stiffer feel at the rear because of the new springs. I guess ill just wait til I hit the lottery and get a set of coilovers or lowering springs...

Pix up tomorrow.