1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Forced Induction From out of the shadows... it's ALIVE!

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by Vamp, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Offline

Vamp Gunmetal 2001 Corolla S

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Gunmetal Grey 2001 Corolla S
    From out of the shadows... it's ALIVE!

Yes, I finally got some time to work on the car and got the new engine up and running. It was weird to drive my car after having it sit for 8 months in the garage. The engine sounds incredibly smooth. Tonight will be spent street tuning it using PCMSCAN to datalog the fuel maps so that I can get it as close to perfect as possible. We did give it a little bit of boost during the test run, which is fine since my setup causes the car to go rich as soon as 1 psi is reached. It was pretty scary how the car just wanted to get up and go at only 40% throttle. I'll need to break in the new engine before I can get it Dyno tuned, but once that happens, I'll post up the results. It might be a few weeks though, since the shop I use is booked. Also, I may have some 550cc injectors up for sale. I have them in now and my car has an increadibly smooth idle with them. I'm swapping them out for 630cc's.
  2. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    very nice. so what was wrong with the engine so that you had to have it shipped out? and congrats on finally get it running.
  3. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    The VVTi cam gear was messed up when we reinstalled it, so it was a few degrees off. Because of that, the new engine got messed up from fuel fouling. Once the engine was taken apart and reassembled with a new cam gear, it started up just fine.
  4. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe had to disassemble the poor thing to find out it was a problem with a top level object that could be replaced without tearing the engine apart... gotta love it. :)
  5. Offline

rayray1 Active Member

Message Count:
    Congrats on getting your car up and running again, hope all goes well this time around :)
  6. Offline

turbo4age Love to Hate me

Message Count:
    how much for those 550s?
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Actually, looking back on my paperwork, they're 460cc's. $250 for the set including connectors.
  8. Offline

rhythmnsmoke New Member

Message Count:
    Oh MY! Man...Vamp you are bringing back memories of my Rolla days. I see you are still rocking the Rolla, nice. I'm an old timer from the VVTI.net days. Have not lurked onto a Corolla site in a decade probably...lol. But it's cool to see you still going strong on it. So, catch me up to speed on things, you had a motor before on boost? What happened to it? What is your turbo setup now?
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
  10. Offline

rhythmnsmoke New Member

Message Count:
    How much were you putting down on the stock motor? Did you run it at the track.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    ~230WHP. It never made it to the track because I had a torque converter seal leak.
  12. Offline

rhythmnsmoke New Member

Message Count:

Cool, what about tQ, were you able to get a tQ number? How much boost were you pushing?