1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

found an interesting way to mount gps

Discussion in 'Interior' started by 1337Rolla, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    found an interesting way to mount gps

I don't have any pictures (my digital camera died).

I wanted to have my garmin gps sit above my center vents but I couldn't come up with any way to mount them easily so I bought a vent mount on ebay. I got it yesterday and tried to stick it between the vent grills and install it; our vents are so small it couldn't fit between the grills vertically or horizontally. Doing this would make it also sit off center.

http://tinyurl.com/cp5sh2

I came up with the idea to mount it where the clock sits (I don't need that clock since my stereo has one). I removed the bezel, removed the clock, opened the clock up and removed the guts leaving just the connector. I then took the lens and cut 2 grooves in the top of it spaced to match the spring loaded grips in the link above. I flipped them upside down and added some soft pads so it doesn't scratch up my bezel. Now it grabs the upper lip of the bezel and the clock lens actually holds them in place so it can't come loose and keeps it from sliding side to side. the bottom 'prop stick' on the mount I applied some sticky-backed velcro and placed this on the plastic that sits just below the clock (horizontal part).

With the full weight of my gps + me pushing on it, still held up and didn't move much vertically. so now I have a somewhat custom gps mount that is perfectly centered and makes the gps float about 4" out from the dash and the bottom edge of the gps sits about 3/4" covering the center vents. Hopefully the distance and careful use of when I'm blasting full heat will keep any issues from happening. I also remove the gps for security reasons. But, if you're looking for ideas how to mount a gps in the 8th gen.. this is a new one! ;)

I will take a picture next week sometime when I have access to a camera
  2. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    I want to do something similar to that too. But I'm worried about getting it stolen just sitting there like that. And and empty mount would be a dead give away that I have a GPS.
  3. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    yeah I actually take the gps out of the car with me. We'll see how long I last before getting a smashed window and ransacked car just to find no gps unit. Right now I mostly park in a garage unless I'm out somewhere.
  4. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    oh a friend of mine bought one similar which cost $20 at some local accessory store in downtown LA. the thing rattled and fell off everytime he hit a speed bump. But then again, my friend had those larger garmins that weigh a bit more. This one that you are showing looks awfully similar but not sure.
  5. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300