1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

folding down the seats?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by steve403, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Offline

steve403 New Member

Message Count:
    folding down the seats?

Just a quick question. On my 02 corolla, I'm not sure if i can fold down the rear seats. The owners manual says it can by pulling some black knobs in the trunk. I can't find these knobs! Is it possible to fold them down and if so, how?
  2. Offline

sxlostv1 New Member

Message Count:
    if you drive a S, your seats dont fold down.
  3. Offline

steve403 New Member

Message Count:
    really?

how can that be...that sux...who knew the S doesnt fold down...that really sux
  4. Offline

italiancorolla Authorized Stinger Dealer

Message Count:
    my 04 rolla s folds down, I have 7 ft of cargo space......I love it so much
  5. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    I thought 02 S can, but just not 40/60?
  6. Offline

vash Guest

Message Count:
    i like to sit in my trunk with the lid shut and make smores
  7. Offline

Silver Bullet New Member

Message Count:
    I have folding rear seats in my 01 LE. It seems like a great feature until you use it. The seat backs don't lay flat when folded making this option somewhat useless. I'm disappointed Toyota made such a shitty design.
  8. Offline

NRM NRDADDY > YOU

Message Count:
    Why wouldn't a type S be able to fold down? It's the same car as the rest except with side skirts, spoiler, and OEM bodykit.

On my 05 Type S there are these black knobs towards the top of your trunk. You should see them from just looking straight downward on the outside. Near the edge of the top. If you've never seen them in you life, there may still be the manufacturer's plastic on them like mine had.
  9. Offline

steve403 New Member

Message Count:
    Sorry...no black knobs to be seen. I've looked..there are none. I guess the 02 S doesnt come with fold down seats..!
  10. Offline

Faisal05CorollaXRS Guest

Message Count:
    05 XRS has a fixed bench seat in the back without the 60/40 split on the it because of the rear sport suspension strut bar and to strengthen the chasis rigidity. Although, all the other Corolla grades come with folding seats and my previous 04 S had them. Not sure why it was not included in the previous generation S.

11. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    here's the answer for why it doesn't fold - and this is valid ONLY for the 01/02 S. the seatback simply lifts off. there's a panel made of corrugated plastic that separates the cabin from the trunk. you want a drop seat? get seats from anything other than an s, remove that corrugated plastic panel, and install latches. the hole's there, like it should be.

NRM - the newer S model(*coughs* not TYPE S..) has this feature because too many people complained about it.

i look at it this way - so what, this means my seats weigh like 15 or 20 lbs less than what they would have if they folded. it's also one less thing to get stuck or broken in the long run.