1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

fiberglass?

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by jakejacobson86, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Offline

jakejacobson86 New Member

Message Count:
    fiberglass?

hey, i was just wondering, how durable is a fiberglass body kit against a plastic one? im thinking about getting this one, but im concerned about the whole fiberglass part, and the possibility in not fitting. ive never really worked with fiberglass so i wouldnt even know what to do if something went wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ssPageName=WDVW
  2. Offline

Flea Guest

Message Count:
    FiberGlass is bad

FiberGlass=Bad. It's a bitch to sand down and paint. The only upside is it's chep as hell. But if you hit ANYTHING, I mean anything and chip it you're fucked. Fiberglass usually doesn't chip it breaks off in chunks. ABS plastic is just shitty and weak. If anything get polyurethane or that other poly- one. It's a little more expensive but it's durable as hell. I would know I got a polyurethane on my rolla and it's indestructable.
  3. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    polypropoline

but i dont share ur hatred for fiberass since its so easy to work with, anyone with a garage or a clear space can work on fiberglass.
  4. Offline

94rolladx Guest

Message Count:
    i agree, FB isnt that bad...i have never fiberglassed before in my life, and i had to do half of my kit that i bought over, FB is an easy thing to learn and its alot of fun
  5. Offline

corollinout New Member

Message Count:
    i have a fiberglass bodykit, and ill tell you, if it was done right, it wont break as easily as you think, so far ive hit a tire at 60, and hit a big ass pothole that by bodykit hit ground, and all i have is maybe a 1/8 crack, also if done right, their supposed to put a gel coating on it, it sands down nice, my rear is smooth, i have to fill some holes where there were airbubbles, other than that its smooth as shit
  6. Offline

Flea Guest

Message Count:
    mm yeah true I've just seen cars with badly beaten fiberglass kits and they look really bad. And I racked my polyurethane kit and it bounced back like rubber. I spent like 20 minutes looking it over for cracks and splits and found nothing
  7. Offline

corollinout New Member

Message Count:
    thats because people dont know how to take care of thier shit, OR like 85% of the kids that have bodykit, mommy and daddy bought it for them, and they dont know how it feels to actually own something and be proud of it
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    good stuff.. i think ill stick with the poly-whatever-i-come-across. Only because I got in a minor accident a few months ago, and my stock bumper was just way too easy to pop out which made me a happy camper. Thanks guys. I really wanted that toms kit though,... it looks sweet, but i need to find someone else that has something good in poly-whatever.
  9. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    fiberglass is okay - just don't fucking think its not gonna crack... ROFLMAO...

uhhh anyway.... polyfiber - half polyurathane and half fiberglass... or maybe its 30/70 ... fuck it... whatever it owns... i love it... its not too brittle but not too soft either...

btw... most kits of the plastic polymer are polyurethane...
  10. Offline

RollaRyder1103 New Member

Message Count:
    they dont make em...have 2 go custom on that
  11. Offline

COROLLA1ZZ New Member

Message Count:
    U guys know where thare are polyurethane body kits for an 01 rolla
  12. Offline

Message Count:
    damn, so there arent many kits out there for our cars that arent fiber glass?
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    it cost tens of thousands to make a injection mold for plastics.. not cost effective, supply and demand, blah blah.
  14. Offline

rainbow_star New Member

Message Count:
    TRD :p
  15. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    just get some marine grade fiberglass, stronger and more flexible than normal FG...
  16. Offline

Message Count:
    i dont think its fun.. i wish they'd made that stuff less sticky
  17. Offline

toyotaspeed90 New Member

Message Count:
    i wouldn't call fiberglass FUN per say.....

cheap glass kits don't last because they use way more resin than needed.... makes for a very weak structure.... fiberglass can be made pretty damn strong if done correctly..... my hood has over 8,000 miles on it (it's not painted) and there isn't a single chip in it.....
  18. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    fiberglass is not that bad. the bad side is rock chips. fiberglass is also easy to fix unlike urethane and i don't know about plastic
  19. Offline

slowrolla New Member

Message Count:
    Just get a TRD kit
  20. Offline

teevee247 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    If you get quality fiberglass it can last quite a while, every Corvette ever made had a complete fiberglass body on them and they hold up quite well, just don't cheap out with cheap fiberglass cause that will be damaged easily. Marine grade fiberglass should be quite durable though.