1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Factory stereo ?

Discussion in 'Interior' started by DjFrOsT, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Offline

DjFrOsT New Member

Message Count:
    Factory stereo ?

I have a set of woofers just sittin around my house...and i want to install them on my corolla. But i heard that when tryin to install the RCA cables from the factory head unit...there could be some issues. is it true that the head unit will lock itself...causein it to not be usable...and the only way to use it would be to go to a dealer and have them unlock it...

has anyone had this experience? and is there a way around it?

I still need to buy an amp and a new sub box...so i have some time...but does anyone know what can be done to avoid this trip to the dealer?

thanks!
  2. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    I wouldent think so cause toyota sells subs for corollas but I Don't think that the stock deck has RCA outputs I think youl have to use line levels from the rear speaker wires. but I'd ask the dealership, or some place like that.
  3. Offline

Laz Z Kay "n00B, be kind"

Message Count:
    laz has a stock headunit and an Infiniti Baselink. So I think it's fine.
  4. Offline

DjFrOsT New Member

Message Count:
    COOL...i'll have to try it out...thanks!
  5. Offline

98tealrolla New Member

Message Count:
    how are those basslinks? any good? I was thinking of getting one myself.
  6. Offline

Laz Z Kay "n00B, be kind"

Message Count:
    laz said it pounds pretty good. A pretty decent sub.
  7. Offline

laz Member

Message Count:
    You will not have any problems. The only problems that you would have is that if you have one of the newer factory decks with the anti-theft code you need to know the code before disconnect the battery since you will have to enter the code to activate the radio once again when the battery is connected. As far as I know Corolla's do not have that type of factory radio.
    If you do usually dealers write the code on your owners manual for you.

As far as connecting a stock radio to subs you need high-low level adapters. This is since you don't have rca pre-outs. When I first installed my radio I had those, but the quality kind of sucked. When I went to my clarion radio the quality was 100 times better. The best bet if you are using subs is to get an amp that has built in high-level inputs so that you can install it directly to the amp from the stock speaker wires without adapters.

In regards to the basslinks I liked them a lot. I sold one to rolla02, and I am thinking of selling my second one if someone is interested I can make you a good deal.

X