1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Exhaust systems

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by gsmurf187, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Offline

gsmurf187 Guest

Message Count:
    Exhaust systems

I'm currently looking a a couple of exhaust/muffler parts for my car.

[IMG]
    [IMG]

There are plenty of others out there like these claiming horse power gains ect. However is a catalytic converter necessary to aquire the gain of horse. Also would it be more wise to buy a cold air intake before the muffler and other exhaust componets.
  2. Offline

gsmurf187 Guest

Message Count:
    also would it be a better idea to purchase a pricey TRD muffler instead. If so what are the advantages
  3. Offline

cooper Guest

Message Count:
    has any one seen the corolla with dual exhaust???
    where could i get something like that at and how much will i be looking at???
    thanks...
  4. Offline

bewildered_spruce Guest

Message Count:
    ur not gonna get any noticable performance gain with just a new exhaust or even an intake without some tuning. if ur going to do that i suggest u go ahead and get the unichip. i dont have it but others on the site do and they're always singing its praises...

as for the dual exhaust, ur gonna have to go custom on that and its gonna take some creativity. u'll prolly lose some power unless ur running FI or tiny pipes but if u wanna do that then i say go for it cuz i think it looks cool.
  5. Offline

gsmurf187 Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks, where can i get a unichip, i visited a unichip website and the newest model they had was for a 2001 corolla.
  6. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Jack Friedman, General Manager
    Unichip of North America
    www.unichip.us
    Toll Free 866.643.7400; 503.640.7465

Email: jack@unichip.us

IF you contact him by email or phone he can answer any questions you have
  7. Offline

gsmurf187 Guest

Message Count:
    Hey thanks alot man! :D I appreciate your help.....
  8. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    No problem. If you need anything else you can PM me im more than happy to help.
  9. Offline

vinnieb0i Guest

Message Count:
    I have dual on my rolla. . . . . i like it, looks nice, but i have the apexi N1 style mufflers and they hang pretty low. . . . . if you go dual, you are going for looks. . . . . . . not too much power gain. . . . . . . it cost me 100 for both mufflers and 150 to install/weld it on. . . . . . took them all day to work on my car. I was on a budget(still am) but it was worth the 250 total.
  10. Offline

crovax New Member

Message Count:
    if you want performance, do what i did. Starting from the front, gut the first cat, then chop everything past the second O2 sensor off, and replace it with a 2.5" pipe, mendrel bends (i think you need 5 of them) and a magnaflow muffler. I ended the whole system with a turndown tip, so it looks bone stock, but its louder than a hick and his sister after a romantic evening, and gave me maybe 5-10 hp at the wheel. definitly noticed a difference. With a CAI and unichip, i can only imagine :)
  11. Offline

dragonfiyah513 Guest

Message Count:
    how much does the unichip cost?
  12. Offline

vinnieb0i Guest

Message Count:
    Wat does a unichip actually do and how much to they cost??
  13. Offline

Blk03Corolla Guest

Message Count:
    Right now you get the unichip for around 700 hundred not the cheapest mod but it pulls your whole system together. You gain power every where low and high rpms. Pretty much it sets the best air/fuel ratio at hundreds of points as well as timing.