1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine Engine tune up

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by junkyboy, May 9, 2004.

1. Offline

junkyboy Guest

Message Count:
    Engine tune up

Hi everyone. I was wondering how often should an engine tune up be done on our car? I'm at 38000 right now and the only things I've done are oil changes, tranny fluid change, and change of air filter. I know I should have my brakes checked and i'm planning on doing that soon. Also when should the spark plugs be replaced? Are there any other maintenance stuff that i should know about?? Thanks
  2. Offline

polo708 New Member

Message Count:
    do u have the maintanance booklet that came with your car? It shows what should be changed at which miles
  3. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
  4. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    According to my book, it looks like major maintenance is done every 30,000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. Usually, Toyota will send you a letter telling you to bring your car in for maintenance.
  5. Offline

junkyboy Guest

Message Count:
    Thanks for all the info guys
  6. Offline

Schoat333 New Member

Message Count:
    i just hit 40,000 on my car and i put new brakes on the front. they werent completely shot, i could have actually gone a lil longer, but the brake dust was getting nasty so i put some ceramic pads on. i also pulled the plugs and checked em... says 100,000 miles on em but they arnt thinking aluminum head and steel plug hmmmm. so if i were you id pull em out just so they dont seize up in the head and you wont have problems later.
  7. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    how do u guys have that kinda mileage? thats huge.
  8. Offline

tom Guest

Message Count:
    I've got 28,300 miles on it already and haven't done a thing except for oil change. That's all you really need to do anyways. I change my spark plugs after a couple of years. I say screw the 100,000 mile spark plug change, kind of like what schoat333 does too. I don't leave it in that long even if it is a Denso IK20 plug.

Same with oil change. I get it done every 3,000 miles and don't wait that long for the 5,000 miles oil change. As far as transmission goes, I don't even touch it. I mean, does it really, really need a transmission tune-up? Come on....

Toyota charge way too much for their maintenance plans and half the stuff, we don't really need. I'm sure I'll have my brake pads replaced soon, but that's about it.
  9. Offline

Schoat333 New Member

Message Count:
    my car is two years old aready i bought it on march 25th 2002... plus i moved to fl and back with it so that racked up some miles.
  10. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    my car is 1 and 1/12 yr old, and it has 23000 miles on it already lol
    so far i have done the 15000 miles maintainence service and oil change every 5000 miles with synthetic oil, i think thats about it...
  11. Offline

KingKuei Guest

Message Count:
    My car just hit exactly 1 year old just a few days ago. I have 32,000 miles on it.
  12. Offline

RexPelagi VDub

Message Count:
    1 year, 4 months, 4500 miles BAM, and i think i turned this into another mileage thread sorry. well to bring it back around, ive changed the oil twice.