1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Tech Employment question...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ares, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    So I just graduated college with a Computer Information Systems degree and a AAS in Network Admin. I know those don't mean anything specially since I don't have any 'formal' work experience. I have been working at the DA's office as a clerk but am the self-proclaimed IT guy of the office - everyone knows to call me first before dialing IT's tech support extension. More often than not, I can help with what they need - phone's frozen, "how do you do this?", "why isnt this doing that?" kinda issues.

Couple of questions:
    1. Is it too much to ask/apply for a tier2 IT position?
    2. If given the opportunity to start at the bottom of the ladder (IT tech support of an ISP) @ 12/hr with possibility of OT, should I take it even if it's a 36 mile drive one way?

I work 10.5/hr at the moment but am obviously not getting any formal experience in my field. I've technically only been looking for a job for 1 month. Should I pass on the 12/hr job and keep looking?

FWIW, I've applied at 5 positions, most requiring ONLY 2 years of college at most but at least 2 years of experience. No one's called but this ISP job.

Opinions: good, bad, harsh. Give it to me!
  2. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    Only real resume stuff is gonna count towards the experience needed for IT positions. You're probably gonna have to start at the bottom, unless you get lucky.
  3. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Thanks. Getting lucky is generally not on my side.

I'm used to starting from the bottom though:
    1st car: 1988 AE82
    1st bike: [beat up] 2003 ninja 250

I was hoping to get the same job closer to home though. That makes it easier on my conscience.
  4. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Yeah unfortunately thats how it is, you start at the bottom and work your way into the position you want.
    Unless you get really lucky and they hire for entry level in the field you want, unfortunately thats gonna mean you dont get paid as much because your inexperienced.
  5. Offline

Goldy Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Lexus IS300
    I'd say you should get whatever job you can stand for 2 years ASAP just to get that experience, then use it to get the job you want.
  6. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    If I was going to do this 12/hr job, because of the miles traveled, I would have started looking at about the 1 yr mark...

I'm going to lowball, err... negotiate a dollar or two and see what happens. Worst they can do is say no. I think I'll give in if they give me 13/hr though.

They must really need someone because they called me for an interview TOMORROW after submitting the application yesterday...
  7. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Thats not uncommon.. alot of my interviews are the day after I submitted an application.
  8. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    check and re-check ur resume to make sure it will stand out from the rest. and brush up on ur interview skills. u may have to take something u really don't want just to get a foot in the door. work there for a year and move on
  9. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Went to the interview for experience. I think I did great - maybe too much as I was dressed in slacks, shirt, and tie - which is standard protocol I think. The company is an internet provider (+ other services) and I was applying for a tech support help desk job. I think I would have loved it if I lived closer - like 5 mins away. They were wanting someone who can talk over the phone and troubleshoot router/modem and other connection issues. That's a no-brainer for me.

If I don't get the job, it's probably not because of my knowledge/skills. They were looking for a 'geek,' someone that could talk a lot of gaming and current tech. I can do the current tech part, but not the gaming. I saw that they (interviewers) were not too happy that I only play D3 and the only other game I play is WC3 Frozen Throne's Battlenet custom games.

One down, 54865413 more to go.
  10. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    That sounds like a perfect job for me, I did a lot of work with modem/routers connection type stuff at my last job.
    Good luck in your search though.
  11. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    wear a suit...unless its the type of job interview where u will just "know" its not necessary
    and dont forget a thank u letter/email/call. follow up!!!
    good luck
  12. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Oh gosh not the whole thank you letter/e-mail/call debate again.
    I mean who does that? "Hey guys, thanks for interviewing me, im just calling because I know if I thank you that will seal the deal for the position over my qualifications and experience.":rolleyes:
  13. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    it may not seal the deal, but it will give u an edge over the people that dont write one. anything helps if u really want the job
    "nearly 15% of hiring managers reject a job candidate who neglects to send a thank you letter after the interview.
    32% said that they would still consider the thankless prospect but that their opinion of him or her was diminished"
    201 knockout answers to tough interview questions - matias - AMA
  14. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    15 percent isent alot.

I guess it just depends on the industry.. if your applying at burger king... probably not.. something more corporate... yes.
  15. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    honestly, when i saw the 15% i was like wow that little? But i'd rather do it than not it. and yeah lol, a place like BK will hire anyone. i honestly dont know how some people obtained a job the way i see them work...its quite sad how some individuals exhibit such work ethic
    HummerH2O likes this.
  16. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    I hear you, some companies just hire the biggest retards.
  17. Offline

Press22 Mangoooooooooooo

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E28 1JZ, E36 M3
    Never have I ever sent a thank you letter. Instead of an interview being someone asking you questions and you answering take it as a way to find out what the company needs.
    When I was looking for my job as I immediately walked in to the place I noticed NOBODY there spoke spanish. So throughout my interview the goal was to show that I can do as well a job as everyone already working at the place and I can speak spanish, being able to expand the company and services they provide. And even if it's not a part of the position you are applying.

My job title is in RMA's which is Returns. Although now they work on Macs in their computer repair because I am a certified technician for them and can help out in that department as well.

One thing I wanna stress, if you're serious about getting a job. Make a different resume or cover letter for every place you apply to and research the company A LOT.

(I've gotten every job I ever interviewed at except for one as a clothing store manager because I showed up late [traffic lolz])
    Added: Jun 9, 2012 1:30 AM
    One more thing, most companies nowadays will go look at your facebook and google you. So watch out there
  18. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Thats extremely messed up if they judge you by a picture or your facebook. Your personal life should not be a determining factor.
  19. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    you raise two very good points. cover letter and resume should be tailored to the job you are applying for...
    and thats y i dont have a FB. However, i do feel that whatever someone does in their social life should not determine whether they are hired or not (unless you are a drugdealer or something haha)
  20. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    Yeah.. I mean if your holding a blunt and gun in your FB picture, the only place you should be working is burger king.
    roachrolla likes this.
  21. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for all the tips.

1. I always do a cover letter and thank you note.
    2. My fb uses my nickname and another e-mail address, not that I have anything to hide anyway.

I'm not rushing the job hunt because I'm going back to the Philippines for a vacation trip (1 month) so its going to be stupid for me to get a job, be on the job for one month, then go away on vacation lol.

The real job hunt starts in September.
  22. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
  23. Offline

Mayur Biggest trd whore in the whole wide world

Message Count:
    Hey now, I had signed a contract for a job 3 months prior to my graduation. It all depends on the degree, if you are in the liberal arts, then yes I'll take a medium coffee.
  24. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    HAHAHA! I had a guy at my last job major in arts and he couldent find a single job, had to go back and get a degree in something else.
  25. Offline

TOYROLLA99 Kleen 8.125 (According to Mack)

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1999 Toyota Corolla CE
    hahah if it was fine art i could believe that, but graphic design jobs like me are out there, you just gotta be stand out and possibly whiling to relocate.
  26. Offline

roachrolla Hipster

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    02 Toyota Corolla
    wtf is the point of liberal arts anyway??
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1999 Toyota Corolla CE
    i guess its what you call yourself when u haven't declared a major yet lol.
  28. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    I think he actually might have majored in literature or something.. which I guess is great if you want to work in a library?
  29. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    1999 Toyota Corolla CE
  30. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW