1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Emissions control systems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ares, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Emissions control systems

Apparently the ECS is the reason why my engine bay looks like medusa's head. :cool:

Using context clues, I assume this system does not have anything to do with power output, or does it? I kinda want to remove the system if it won't hurt the engine. Of course it will hurt the environment, but *points to those v8 big block chevy's*

Take a look for yourself...

q1: other than hurting the environment, are there any other cons to removing the system?
    q2: other than the engine bay looking cleaner (with less hoses/valves/etc) are there any pro's to removing the system?
    q3: will removing the said system change engine operation (make it run better/worse)?

Summer's pretty much over, but for some dumb reason, I decide to work on the car this week :facepalm:

Attached Files:

2. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    To sum it up, removing the ECS system has a lot more pros than cons. Doesn't mean eliminate them all, as some actually will help out (power and fuel economy wise).

Partial list:

PCV system (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). This is something that is better left operational, helps overall power and fuel economy by keeping fumes from causing sludge inside the engine. Unless you are building up a track car with some other system in place, better to keep this one.

Vacuum lines - some are essential for proper operation, example ported vacuum system for vacuum advance vacuum (distributor). Can go with a fully electronic system for better control, but hardly cost effective. The rest are related to the EVAP system (Evaporative emissions). More for environmental control of the various chemicals that can be vented from the car.

Vapor recovery / charcoal canister - more environment than for good engine operation. But this has little drawback for the engine, aside from complex vacuum setup.

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) - this is a biggy. Definitely hurts performance and is usually one of the first things to go on a dedicated track car. Purpose is to slow the rate of combustion, prevents detonation from excessive combustion temperatures. Drawback - you'll lose that "cooling, tempering" effect from the exhaust gas being feedback into the combustion chamber. Need to find a way to keep pinging/detonation under control (higher octane gas, cooler running thermostat, etc.)

Catalytic Converter - obviously a restriction to the exhaust system, though gains tend to be minimal in the best cases.
  3. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    Thanks for the reply fish. I wasnt going for a "track" car because its a daily and I dont track it.

I just thought of the crazy idea when I noticed that all the "tangled medusa" wires/lines/hoses were mostly from the ECS. I just want a purty engine bay :shutup: and it's kinda hard with all those in there...