1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Elderly driver crashes Camry into laundromat, blames unintended acceleration

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by Autoblog, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Offline

Autoblog Guest

Message Count:
    Elderly driver crashes Camry into laundromat, blames unintended acceleration

Filed under: Government/Legal, Safety, Toyota

[IMG]

We knew this would happen, and it didn't take long at all. A Pennsylvania woman has crashed her 2007 Toyota Camry into a Montgomery County laundromat on Wednesday, and she's blaming the ordeal on unintended acceleration. It was the unruly accelerator, officer! The 68-year-old woman was attempting to park her Camry when the sedan allegedly took off all by itself. The vehicle crashed through a window into a bank of washing machines and thankfully no one was injured. The 2007 Camry is among the vehicles affected by Toyota's recall of millions of vehicles for unintended acceleration claims.

A laundromat employee told the local CBS affiliate that the woman said she "pushed on the gas and then she tried to stop and she just went forward. She couldn't stop." Lt. John Weed of the Cheltenham Township Police Department told CBS 3 that the woman reported she "was shifting the car into Park, she was parking the vehicle, that's when it suddenly accelerated." When the CTPD arrived at the accident scene, the floor mat was reportedly on the pedal, though investigators told the CBS affiliate that it may have moved from the impact. That the floor mat was laying atop the pedal is significant, however, considering that one of Toyota's two latest recalls (and its largest ever) involves floormats that can pin accelerators to the floor.

The minute these two Toyota recalls were announced (the second is for defective accelerator pedal mechanisms that could stick), we suspected every Tom, Jane and Harry would claim that any accidents involving Toyota and Lexus vehicles were the fault of these defective parts and not possibly the driver. Of course, we have no reason to doubt this woman's story and the investigation is ongoing, but we're also going to take these claims with a grain of salt going forward.

Gallery: Toyota Pedal Entrapment Recall - 1/27/10

[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]

[Source: CBS | Image: Google Maps]Elderly driver crashes Camry into laundromat, blames unintended acceleration originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 29 Jan 2010 11:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
  2. Offline

GSE21tuner Formerly rollatuner110. Representing AZLexus.club

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    07 Lexus IS350, 04 Lexus IS300
    Hardly any credibility from a car that was parked and the fact that it was a 68 year old woman who shouldn't be driving in the first place.
  3. Offline

|-Goku-| Super Saiyan

Message Count:
  4. Offline

nyrican52884 Active Member

Message Count:
    I wonder if I can crash my car, and then sue Toyota and make millions. LOL.
  5. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    I call bull shit
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    On me or the original post? I didn't say I would do it...
  7. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    You wouldn't make millions. They would either reward with a few thousand or catch you for fraud. :)
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    I guess those days are over. I remember when you could spill a cup of coffee and burn yourself, and then say it was McDonald's fault because the coffee was hot. :D
  9. Offline

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    No. I'm sure if it was something that wasn't brought up before or often, it would slide. However, it's pretty obvious you'd be pulling off a scam by blaming Toyota since it's a hot topic atm.
  10. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    btw my post was towards the old lady lol...

Toyota is weeding the retards for us
  11. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    They had this on the local news a few days ago, and she looks like she is lying thru her teeth or whats left of them.