1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Dynamatting

Discussion in 'Interior' started by Vibe, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    Dynamatting

I want to dynamat the floor and I wanted to take off the carpet.

I started with the rear and so I took off the back seat which was one big piece.

i dynamatted the area below the seat that i just removed, adding another layer on top of the factory dampening material there.

now that i'm done, i wanted to dynamat the floor where i couldnt even see any dampening material at all. I took off the plastic trim that was meant to be stepped on, by the door. I couldn't remove this white plastic that is used to latch the aforementioned plastic trim i am talking about. it is holding down the carpet. I used a lot of force to try to remove it but i'm afraid if i use too much i might break it.

does anyone know how to remove this? i really want to dynamat the floor :(
  2. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Use a panel puller, looks like this.
    http://www.cardomain.com/item/SOU87810
    you get it in any auto parts store, i use it a lot since I do mobile electronics installation on the side. It's made for popping out those clips. Don't use a flat head or a pry bar because you might end up just bring off one side of the head.

.. I'm actually in the process of removing my sound deadening, I took off all the stuff in the trunk and under the rear seats.
  3. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    cool, im gonna order them. Also since you're into that kind of stuff, I noticed that when i turn up my sound, one of my rear speakers give me a failure. I think its because the part where the wire is soldered onto the back of the speaker vibrates onto the metal rear deck. (when i remove the speaker and just pop it back into the speaker hole, i dont get the failure anymore). I was wondering how I can prevent this from happening. is there some sort of foam that I can use to shield around the ring? will it cause a fire if i have a cloth type of thing touching the soldered area?

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT!
    I think I know the solution!

SPEAKER BAFFLES!!!! am i right?

EDIT

another question, the new speakers come with tweeters and crossovers. i have to run new wires for the tweeters and crossovers right? do sony head units even support crossovers?
  4. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    You don't need to order it, just get one from autozone or kragen (I think they call it checkers or schmucks in other parts of the country). About the speaker terminal being grounded, just wrap it with some electrical tape. I use a hot glue gun sometime to insulate electrical terminals and it seems to work. Just don't use anything flammable. Baffels would work too.

To hook up components straight from the headunit; hook up the stock wires (+/- going to the stock speakers) to the Input of the crossover. Then the crossover would have 2 sets of outtputs, one set to the midrange speakers and one set to the tweeters. You will need new speaker wires for the outputs if the componet package dont come with them.
  5. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    sounds easy enough. the thing is i dont trust myself to cut out holes to properly fit the tweeters.. :(

thanks for the help. i hope the panel remover tool works for this plastic clip that was giving me a headache.
  6. Offline

Vibe New Member

Message Count:
    so i taped the speaker socket rim on the rear deck and i tested my speakers for a while and at very loud settings. no shorting out :)

thanks