1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Engine dumb question

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by HK-Racer, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    dumb question

i know this is stupid to ask, but whats it mean by "running too rich"?
  2. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    This means that the ratio of oxygen to fuel is too low.
    You need to have an air/fuel ratio of about 14:1, typically...
  3. Offline

LowRolla Will work for turbo

Message Count:
    means you're burning more fuel than you should. when you see cars blowing black smoke from their exhaust - they're running rich.

on the flip-side - running too lean would be if you had not enough fuel (very dangerous, ESPECIALLY in a boosted engine)
  4. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    oh i see. well i aint running too rich then. but whats white smoke? is that ok? cuz whenever i turn on the car, white smoke comes out and i smell gasoline. is that normal or what?
  5. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    White smoke? Ouch....

Most likely you've blown a head gasket or otherwise have water entering the combustion chamber.

White=water
    blue=oil
    black=running rich
  6. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
  7. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    oh my god, i am so panicking right now. and i dont even have the money to fix it. damn it. is there another solution to this? without paying alota money.
  8. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    what will i do? what will i do? damn it im panicking, someone help me before i go crazy...
    and can i still replace the cold air intake i have now with my pvc short ram?
  9. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    oh goddamn it, that stupid cold air intake. so is there really any major damage to the rolla?
  10. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    its not always serious, on some cars timing chain needs to be done. like my ex-bosses lebarren.
  11. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    so it doesnt harm anything else in the engine right?
  12. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    well it can be serious if you don't take care of the problem
  13. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    oh damn it, what can i do? i dont have the short ram pipe, but still have the pvc pipe, and i dont wanna use that. of course a bypass valve would be great, but $50! hell no.
  14. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
  15. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    what is the solution to the problem? ;)
    i guess we dont know for now, damn it.
  16. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    someone im talking to on AIM says his friends 240 blew at 265 due to a headgasket.
  17. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    I don't understand. Do you mean to say that the CAI sucked in some water, which in turn could have caused a cracked water gallery, which now results in water getting into the combustion chamber all the time?

You can also get a permanent water-in-the-chamber condition if you overheat the engine too much-- the warping of the cylinder head can cause water to sneak past the head gasket. The cylinder head can be machined on a rotary table (I believe this is the proper name for the table with the spinning machining surface, the head is dragged across the spinning surfave and swivelled around so it hones it evenly) and the head gasket replaced, which may cure the problem-- however, if the head is cracked, then a new one will be needed.
  18. Offline

chasejuno Guest

Message Count:
    so does this mean a CAI is not good for your car?
  19. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    yeah i meant to say that.
    well if water gets in the engine, which the engine is hot, it'll just heat it up. and not a problem right?
  20. Offline

w1ngzer0 Guest

Message Count:
    just take care of the problem. don't try to get out of it becuase it will bite you in the butt. :p
  21. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    lol yeah aight
  22. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    If too much water gets into the engine, it can hydrolock. Bad.
    If the engine is particularly hot, the cylinder head can crack, and the engine can still hydrolock. Bad.

It's not normal. It's bad. Very bad. Your engine needs serious work. The more you drive it from this point without fixing it, the more severe the damage and more costly the repairs you will need.
  23. Offline

corolla_racer Guest

Message Count:
    Man that sucks....U have to fix it soon or u are going to have a big problem...My sister 94 accord was doing the samething n i was telling her to go got it fix but she say its ok nothing is going to happen but then in a month or so her motor was all mass up....N man was my MOM n DAD was mad...
  24. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    I wouldn't worry about your CAI or SRI or the radio or your antenna topper or the bird poo on your windshield. You need to stop driving the car until such a time as you can afford to have it towed to a qualified repair shop for repairs.
  25. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    *sigh* always money involve.
    and again, what is need to replace?
  26. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    ok heres the thing, in cold winter, without driving my car. i start the car, and white smoke comes out. is that water also?
    now its hot, i turn on the car, white smoke comes out, then for a couple seconds its gone. i though its just normal smoke.
  27. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    Was this posted in this thread accidentally? I mis-adjusted timing chain will not result in water getting into the combustion chamber, unless possibly if it's an interference engine and the piston colliding with the valve somehow caused the water jacket to crack or the head gasket to leak. If so, adjusting the timing chain (or belt, depending on the particular engine) at that point is pointless- the damage has already been done. Replace the broken components first, then adjust the valve timing.
  28. Offline

AlaricD Guest

Message Count:
    By white smoke, are we talking clouds? Or just a little bit of steam from a small amount of condensation in the pipes?

I had assumed you meant clouds, since you described it as "smoke". It's normal to have a small amount of vapor burn off, especially if the weather conditions are right for water to condense in your exhaust system, and to some extent in your intake.
  29. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    ahhh i hate this. have anyone had problems like this?
  30. Offline

HK-Racer Guest

Message Count:
    i meant smoke, like a puff of cigarette smoke. its just a little bit.