1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DRL DIY with a switch non e-brake (link is up)

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by moonshadow, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Offline

moonshadow ||\\|||D)||\\||

Message Count:
    DRL DIY with a switch non e-brake (link is up)

8) Well guys and girls, i got the DIY done. it was straightforward except for the pain to move around in the confined space. i will post it up later as i am back on dialup for the time being and the pics are being uploaded right now. there is one problem with it though tha we can't fix. see here is how the syste worked b4 i changed it

DRL BOX --------------------RELAY BOX : in this situatio, the DRL box figured out if the car was on, the e-brake was down and turned on the lights. now its like this

DRL BOX ------------- SWITCH ----------------- GROUND : after what i did, if the switch is toggled to on, and the car is turned on, the lights wont come on (toggle to on for disable system being on) but as soon as u turn the sysem off, the connection is complete and the lights come back on, but since the computer cant talk both ways, u cant trun them off unless u turned off your car, flipped the switch the other way and then turned the car back on. I will probably post up the DIY tonight after i get home from work and u folks can try it out.

WARNING: the space down there is very confined so for those of you who will be cutting and stripping wires for the first time. but a lot of extra with a good strippper and practice. the actual wire from the box isnt too long so u dont have room to fuck up anything

Achint

P.S: check back for the DIY later today or early tomorrow and if u have questions, holla at me, info is in my sig :D
  2. Offline

Message Count:
    Here you guys go, here is the link for my 3rd DIY Mod

http://www.cs.wayne.edu/~w20339/drldiy/drldiy.htm

hope its as easy for u guys. this stuff definitely works very fool proof. i tried it at night just a few minutes ago and it does enable your auto light switch if u turn the system off.
    Enjoy and hit me up with questions.
    Achint

Also thanx to stinky for clearing up a few doubts....
    U da man Anton
  3. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    link doesnt work :?
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    ITS Fixed. thaxn alpha
  5. Offline

Message Count:
    ITS Fixed. thaxn alpha
  6. Offline

yeye Guest

Message Count:
    Good DIY, thanks bro... Imma try it in a week or so...
  7. Offline

alpha-vvti Member

Message Count:
    nice low cost DIY :)
    i may try that later on when i got time
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    thanx guys, make sure u keep my warning in mind. i dont know what happens if u dont ground the cut wires. lol
  9. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    hey to mount the switch, do we have any switch panels open in next to the mirror controls? i think if i can find a switch to mount into that space, i might find a way to do it. lemme know if we have any other switch spots
  10. Offline

yeye Guest

Message Count:
    Yea u gotta make sure the switch is small so it can fit..
  11. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    yea i think i can find the switch at like pep boys or auto zone or some auto store

also a question for the DIY, theres a wire that goes from the relay to the switch, and a wire from the switch to the ground. now if i flip it to the relay side, do the DRL's change according to the sensor? because the other main post said that as long as the wire isnt grounded it turns on. so does it work with the sensor?

this is what i came up wtih, will this work or am i just plain crazy?

[IMG]
    so if i switch it on, it will continue teh circuit, if its off, it will go to ground?
  12. Offline

CorollaAudacity Guest

Message Count:
    When you grouded the yellow cable from the DRL box, what did you ground it to.

just another stupid question, what did grounding the cable actually do?
  13. Offline

CorollaAudacity Guest

Message Count:
    oh yea, i mounted a switch like that, well not exactly, well i put it right under the e-brake, you know that place where you can pull out, yea, it fits there almost perfectly.
  14. Offline

CorollaAudacity Guest

Message Count:
    if you got a switch that has to branches, what happends to the incoming yellow wire, do you just ignore it?
  15. Offline

Message Count:
    well guys, let me explain the mounting a little better. after i spliced into the existing wire comming from the DRL module, i added the swithc and grounded it on the other side. i used a simple toggle on/off switch, i was gonna do a different one that lit up and stuff but chose not to go with it cuz a connection to the battery was required. as for the grounding, there is a metal peice with a lot of wires going to it as a grounding point. i just added mine to there as well. i havent yet figured out a place to mount it but i will probabl do it on the top opposite end of where the cigarette lighter is.

Achint
  16. Offline

stinky Guest

Message Count:
    Intel,

Your are on the right track to do that

[IMG]

Just switch the location of the 2 yeelow wires. The center terminal on the switch is usually the common terminal. So you just need to put the wire coming from the DRL relay to that center terminal. Then put the ground wire on one outside terminal, and the other end of the yellow wire you cut to the other end of the terminal.

Then for operation if you turn the switch to the side that the ground wire is on it will dissable the DRL's, if you turn it the other way it should enable your light sensor.
  17. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    sweet thanx stinky, and hiro for the diagram
  18. Offline

hiro Guest

Message Count:
    intel,
    check your hot-mail
    i send new diagram for more ez understunding
    can you post that for all boys?
    cuz, i don't know how :oops:
  19. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    yea hiro i got it, heres wat hiro sent me people

[IMG]
  20. Offline

Message Count:
    this is different from what i did, why do you have a second box and a extra wire???
  21. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    its only one switch, hes just showing how it would look with on and off.

and the wire just goes in, out, and ground. so if you switch to a, it compeltes the circuit, if you switch to b, it grounds it. i'll see if it works, if it doesnt, i'll do it your way achint
  22. Offline

Message Count:
    no it just confused me cuz i used a 2 connector toggle switch, and his shows the third prong with the extra wire. that is what is confusing me
  23. Offline

hiro Guest

Message Count:
    hi RollaCE,
    it's not second box and extra wire.
    it's used 1(one) DRL module and 1(one)new wire for ground
    and 1(one) 2-way/3pin switch for DRL/on and DRL/off,

when turn to B-ON(right), DRL will gone
    and when turn to A-ON(left), DRL will work again,

A-ON is just same as stock wire diagram,
    and B-ON is trick diagram for disable DRL,

so, when you go toyota dealer for fix your car, turn to A-ON for stock look,
    then when your car back from dealer, turn to B-ON for disable DRL
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    here is how i did it

[IMG]
  25. Offline

Message Count:
    my question is on yours, the extra yellow wire that you have dubbed
    "yellow wire from harness to DRL module(cutted) is that the same harness as the one that i left hanging. BTW, my on off might be off. i have it figured out in my, when the switch is on, the DRL and light sensor is off, when the switch is off, the system is off. i gotta reverse the switch, but does that make sense
  26. Offline

hiro Guest

Message Count:
    ok, how about this?

if peaple want to go back REAL ORIGNAL(stock) wire work, use 3pin switch
    if peaple just need ON-OFF for DRL, use 2pin switch

but, it's only 2-3backs different on 2pin and 3pin
    so, i recomend to use 3pin for just in case,

if you get some elc. trable and go toyota,
    they will check your system and can find CUTTED wire
    but if you use 3pin, they can't find it cuz 3pin has same as stock wire diagram
    but.. if toyota guy find and test the switch, both 2pin and 3pin will same :lol:
  27. Offline

Message Count:
    its the same exact thing, cuz the destination ground the stuff anyways but the current keeps flowing. also someone have the original wiring diagram for this stuff, i wanna better understand it and try and redo mine. one other question, the guy who started this thing with the othe thread, he had done the same thing as me right, and left the other wire alone??
    Achint
  28. Offline

Message Count:
    also, can you disconnect that wiring harness down there or is there a easier way to get to that stuff, the space down there is very confined or else i'd re do the DIY your way
  29. Offline

intel61 Guest

Message Count:
    achint, your way has that extra wire hanging. since the computer is "stupid", it doesnt matter, but you just wont have a wire hanging with the 3 pin switch. i'll try the three pin switch, and see if i can flip the DRL's off and on while the car is on, or if i need to turn the car off.

just bought my parts, the guy at the local hardware store said i dont need to ground it if i'm just interrupting the circuit. they also didnt sell the three pin switch, all they had was two pin that flipped on and off, and four pin that had ON A, OFF, ON B. so i bought the two pin and i'll see what i can do tomorrow
  30. Offline

CorollaAudacity Guest

Message Count:
    Since this doesnt really mess with anything when you put the toggle switch to off, it shouldnt mess with the warranty right? Right?