1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Donations to the Victims of Hurricane Charley

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CPat, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    Donations to the Victims of Hurricane Charley

Guys, Bladdermaster and I were talking, and we deicded to set up a donation thread for the members of vvti to be able to donate to the victims of hurricane Charley. A few of our vvti members went through it, and one of our members, SkyAce, has been working his ass off at his work helping out the victims, he's also driving 60 miles one way just to be able to take a shower in a place iwth running water. For those of you who didn't know, SkyAce lived IN Port Charlotte, which is one of the 3 hardest hit towns in FL, and they're talking about WEEKS before these people get power back...in the homes that are still standing and are able to be lived in.

Well, here's what I'm thinking...if all the members, or those of you who feel that you want to help, paypal some money to me in the next 2 weeks. I'll then take that money and purchase supplies with it, water, batteries, flashlights, canned food, blankets, maybe donate money towards buying ice, etc. I'll then use that money and buy the supplies down here and personally drive up there and donate the goods once the roads up there reopen. Right now I can't do anything because barely anyone can get in or out of that area, which gives us a little bit of time to gather ourselves together.

Guys...I know that you're sitting there going, "why does this effect me? why should I do this? I'm strapped for cash as it is." But imagine wherever your sitting, with no power, no roof over your head, no idea when the next time you'll have a home is going to be because your home is now a large pile of toothpicks. Imagine that home you've always taken for granted gone, the car you're so proud of now under trees, your job is gone since your work is also now a pile of sticks, you have no air conditioning, no hot water, no tv, no computer, no lights at night, NOTHING. Wouldn't you want us to help you if you were in that same situation? Do you REALLY need that extra $5? Why not donate it?

In case you forgot, my paypal account is C3Cpat@yahoo.com, and as I get money donated, I will keep a running total of everything we are able to buy for the victims. I have a garage, so as money comes in, I'll just buy stuff and keep it in there, and when we go up there I'll make sure I have a camera so that y'all can see the people you help.

We're a family guys. One of our family members needs help for himself and his community, so let's help him out!!!

Thank guys.
    -CPat and BladderMaster

BTW, here are a few pictures to show what these people are living in right now...

[IMG]
    Angelina Kauffman, right, looks for items from her brother's demolished home in Punta Gorda.

[IMG]
    What you are seeing here are photos taken by satellite of a mobile home park in Punta Gorda -- before and after Charley. The top part of the photo shows the trailer park as it looked from above in March. The bottom is the same bird's-eye view, but was taken a day or two after Hurricane Charley buzz-sawed its way through southwest Florida. Both images are the property of DigitalGlobe.

[IMG]
    Arlene Bostic collects Bibles and songbooks from St. Mary Primitive Baptist Church in Punta Gorda, which lost its roof to Hurricane Charley.

[IMG]
    Mary Burger, of Lake Valley, N.Y., looks at her parents overturned car Monday morning Aug. 16, 2004, in Port Charlotte, Fla. Burgers' parents, Gordon and Joanne Hawkins were killed when their mobile home was ripped from its foundation by Hurricane Charley

That's about it for right now guys. If you want to see more, there are 127 pictures so far on www.sun-sentinel.com In the righthand sidebar there's a little box that says "Follow hurricane Charley's aftermath with pictures updated daily. Just go there and you can see all of the pictures.
  2. Offline

BLADDER_MASTER Active Member

Message Count:
    I'm already donating. If I can get off my lazy ass to donate, you can too!
  3. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    As soon as my check clears I will put some in as well
  4. Offline

Message Count:
    Cool, thnx man.
  5. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    you guys need all the help you can get
  6. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    i just put in some money, GOOD LUCK GUYS
  7. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    Got it, thanks sooooo much!!!! :D
  8. Offline

Paolino SolidTuned

Message Count:
    Being a Florida native, I cannot sit by and ignore this as it hits home; even though I am living in Alabama right now, Florida will always be my home. :) I do not know everyone's beliefs, nor am I here to preach, but you are right, we ARE a family, not just because we share a common interest in our vehicles, but because we have the same Father. :) It blesses me just to be able to help and be involved with this.
    If you need any other assistace, in addition to my donation, and I am able to provide it, I most certainly will.

God Bless,
    Keith
    airmanclark@hotmail.com
  9. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    Thank You Keith, you've helped a lot. I'm going to take the money donated so far and probably go to Publix tomorrow to buy some supplies with it. If I have over a hundred dollars (we're at $30 as of this post) then this weekend I'll be heading out to Port Charlotte for our first round of supply donation.

You're making a big difference guys!!! Thanks a ton!!! :)
  10. Offline

Paolino SolidTuned

Message Count:
    I only wish we could get this out to the other memebers...what about a mass PM or email? I mean I know that it could be spam, but just this one, the vvti members at LEAST need to know about this. Not everyone checks the General Forum either, you know? Even 1$ from every member would be just incredible support. :)
    Let's get the word out! :)
  11. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    Sounds like a good idea...let me see what I can do. :)
  12. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    CMON PEOPLE! Donate!!! Instead of buying that CD, or that new DVD, or going to McDonalds a few times, donate that money instead and help those that cant even do those things anymore because their stuff is destroyed.

The amount that has been donated so far isnt all that impressive...not to take away from those that donated, no matter what the amount was! Even if you can donate 5 bucks, please donate it! We need MORE people donating just a little..it will add up.
  13. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    Eric...you're awesome!!! Thanks so so so much!!!!

Guys...just a little math...

We currently have 1,214 members on this board. If each of them donated $2, we'd have $2,428!

So far the people have donated have done no less than $10...if everyone did at least that, we'd have $12,140!!!!!

That right there makes NO REASON why we can't collect $1,000 between all of us.

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE THAT WOULD HELP!!!!
  14. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    Hey guys, Im temp. back online.

After 11 days without electricity i FINNALY (WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!) got it back, and hot damn that air feels soo good.

I called up earthlink and got a temp. dialup service. for some odd reason my TV cable works but the internet doesnt.

CPat, thank you so much for seting this up, you guys have NO idea how bad pple here need the money. Every day, i try to take a new route to work to see what happened, and by god, every time i drive through the neighborhoods it just tears me up. I am soo greatful that my house is still intact.

You guys have NO idea what its like, I dare you, some of you, flip the main breaker to your house for 3 days and see what its like to live.

Ill tell you what though, im gunna sleep tonight live a baby

Thanks for everyones help!

Ill try to get my pix uploaded ASAP
  15. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    well, I HAD power... siting on the couch, and it went BLACK again...wow, im really starting to hate life right about now. Generator is back out, and it only has enough gas for about....oooh, 3 hrs
  16. Offline

rolla02 Corollalcholic

Message Count:
    When my account stops acting like a freakin roller coaster cause my ban suck I will donate
  17. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Well, I hope that the money i donated will be put to good use! Ive heard that they are in dire need of baby supplies down there...baby food, diapers, wipes, etc.

We need more people to donate here....c'mon people, stop being selfish!!!
  18. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    So did anyone else donate yet???
  19. Offline

GundamHeavyArms Guest

Message Count:
    I just donated to the Hurri-fund. I hope it helps. its only 10 bucks but its something.
  20. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    It all helps...if everyone could donate $10 we'ds be able to donate a TON of stuff!
  21. Offline

slvr2000fdvspec Guest

Message Count:
    damn people, how would you feel, if an earthquake came and was worse than the 1989 earthquake, we would be powerless for weeks if not months..and you would feel that every little thing helps..it's the same thing here, it might not be you, it might not affect you, but what comes around goes around..you treat people nice, you might get something good in return, just a little bit out of your wallet would help, 5 or 10 dollars isn't that much, that's maybe a movie ticket, or even a couple trips to taco bell or mc donalds..you guys spend hundreds of dollars on rims, suspension and stuff for the car, and you dont even have that couple dollars to help somebody out?
  22. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    i dont think pple really care. They dont really know what its like, and prolly wont. But since i got my power on, and i semi-have internet, my life has pretty much went back to noraml. My wallet is in alot of debt, but, im sure i can somehow pay it off. Im glad i spent the hours i did help cleaning and other misc. stuff. This will be somthing that i never forget
  23. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Goes to show that people are selfish.
  24. Offline

Message Count:
    Indeed.
  25. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:
    Anyone else donate?
  26. Offline

SkyAce2004 New Member

Message Count:
    does donating my time and energy count? cz i sure did do a hell of alot of it...
  27. Offline

CPat New Member

Message Count:
    Nope. Not yet.
    ...sorry, that was in response to Eric's question of whether anyone else donated.
  28. Offline

e_andree E

Message Count:

This board is full of tightwads then. :(
  29. Offline

Message Count:
    *Unsticked thread due to expiration*
  30. Offline

RogerRepoed2002rolla Guest

Message Count:
    Still need donations?