1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY DIY: unlink defrost & A/C compressor

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by 1337Rolla, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    DIY: unlink defrost & A/C compressor

I figured out how to do this but like most of my mods, it's a pain. You have to pull the hvac controls in the center of the dash, pull out the A/C button assembly, then seperate the plastic shell from the board/button part. You will see a sort of lever on the side of the assembly, this controls the on/off for the defrost A/C. Your choices are A) remove the button completely, or B) remove the contacts that make the switch work when it moves.

I did option B, reassembled... now my defrost is totally independent of the air conditioning system, and if you want to use the defrost A/C function, just press the A/C button while the heater is on.

Better gas mileage while defrosting ftw! :p
  2. Offline

Ares Active Member

Message Count:
    LOL. Invention runs on necessity...
  3. Offline

10R New Member

Message Count:
    Why is the Defrost and AC connected in the first place?
  4. Offline

SBUBandit New Member

Message Count:
    because the ac also drys the air which helps defrost. i've considered doing this too, cause once its defrosted, just the air flow will keep it defrosted. What I do for now is once you have the windshield clear, turn the directional knob to the floor, enough air leaks out of the defrost vents when its aimed to the floor to keep it defrosted most of the time. Every once in a while you just need to defrost for a minute. I love when i get in friends cars and they just drive around all winter with it set to defrost. that burns gas like crazy.