1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY DIY: How to install a shift light

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by plu, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    DIY: How to install a shift light

It's well known that street racers have the big tachs with the shift lights installed in their dash. Well, I'm not into that. I have a need for a shift light because I have a 2004 1zzfe engine on a 2003 ECU installed into my 1998 Corolla. Therefore my tachometer reads redline at 6000 RPM instead of the 6500 RPM or whatever it really redlines at. A shift light would help me focus on the road instead of counting the little red lines I go over redline before I have to shift.

I wanted a clean installation, the air vent seems like the most logical place. I tested this and it does not block the air vent much at all.

Here's how it's done:

1) Ordered this 1.6" diameter shift light from SummitRacing. Took of the bracket it came with. I jammed this bitch inside my air vent. Yeah..it fits so tight it's a perfect fit. Bitch won't move so I don't need no glue yo. fo shizzle!

[IMG]

[IMG]

2) There are 3 wires coming out of the shift light. The Green wire goes to the tach signal which I tapped into the wire harness of the speedometer. It's the solid black wire.

[IMG]

3) Then the red wire is power which I tapped into the solid grey wire of the clock. This grey wire is ACC switched so it makes the shift light flash twice whenever I turn the car on. And the black wire is the ground which I tapped into the white wire with black stripe also coming from the clock.

[IMG]

4) Now I that's it for the installation. There is a knob on the back of the unit that I can adjust the RPM for the light to go off. It's adjustable from 3000 RPM to 12,000 RPM! Works really well and accurate.

Here's a vid of the car getting turned on:

[IMG]

And finally here's a vid of the shift light at work:

[IMG]
  2. Offline

ChicagoCruise Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Dat rolla sounds mean
  3. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Do you consistently rev your car to redline for every shift?
  4. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Only if I 'have to' :burnout: :driving:
  5. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Oh ok, I can see how it definitely helps, but I read it as you need it because you hot the limiter on every single shift lol
  6. Offline

MovieSTAR i hurd u liek?

Message Count:
    pro tip: plu is the shit.

need some shots of your slippers in this thread though man.