1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY DIY: How to convert your non-tilt steering column to Tilt Steering

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by plu, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    DIY: How to convert your non-tilt steering column to Tilt Steering

Overall, this is not worth the trouble since most owners do not use their tilt steering. Unless you are big and have trouble getting in and out of your car then I say go ahead and skip this conversion.

You will need the Tilt steering column from a Corolla or Prizm with factory tilt steering as you see here from the sliding yoke here:
    [IMG]

all the way back to where the steering wheel mounts:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

And also you will need the steering wheel column covers from the tilt steering vehicle.

The hardest part about this mod is switching your ignition switch to the tilt steering column so that you can use your current key to start your vehicle. I guess to prevent crime, Toyota made the igntion switch attached to the steering columns in a way that you would have to drill out the bolts to remove the ignition switch as the bolts are flat as you can see here:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

As you can see, the bracket that allows the tilt steering is a mechanism that is welded to the column so unless you want to cut the weld off and weld it back to your non-tilt column...I would swap the columns.
    [IMG]

Other that that, this mod is just a direct swap. I would go ahead and get the intermittant wipers that the tilt steering columns usually have and it is a direct plug in too. Basically, you are just swapping the steering columns and drilling out the ignition switch to replace your old one in there and reinstall with the new steering column covers. Make sure you allow yourself at least 8 hours for this job. That's it.
  2. Offline

fishexpo101 Get Some

Message Count:
    Good write up! Thanks for sharing.