1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY DIY: How To Add Power Mirrors With Optional LEDs

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by plu, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    DIY: How To Add Power Mirrors With Optional LEDs

So you have a cheap base model Corolla without the optional power mirrors, eh? Say what? You want to add power mirrors? :superconf

Ok. No problem.

Materials needed:
    1) Power Mirror control switch
    2) A whole lot of 20 gauge stranded wire
    3) A whole lot of prewired LEDs (optional)
    4) A whole lot of wire connectors
    5) Clothes hanger
    6) Electrical tape
    7) Duct tape
    8) T15 screwdriver
    9) Phillips head screwdriver
    10) 10MM socket wrench
    11) Right powered side mirror
    12) Left powered side mirror

1) The wiring for the power mirror control switch exist in all models. You have to take out the driver's side air vent and pop out that useless coin holder to find it. Just replace the coin holder with the power mirror switch and then plug the harness staring in front of you into the switch. I have not confirmed this, but I think that all Corollas with power windows/locks do have the harness for the power mirrors in place. All is needed are the mirrors and switch. The rest is plug and play. If you don't have power windows/locks, read on.

2) Here is a wire diagram of how the wiring is done. Basically, put wire connectors to piggyback off the power mirror harness and run them into your left and right mirrors. If you can't handle this step, then you need to quit working on your car and enjoy your manual side mirrors.

[IMG]

[IMG]

3) It gets a little tricky when you get to the harness for the power mirrors themselves. Each of the left and right power mirrors have a harness with 3 wires (yellow, blue, and green). Here is how they should be wired:

Left Power Mirror
    Yellow = Green
    Blue = Brown/Red
    Green = Blue

Right Power Mirror
    Yellow = Red/Green
    Blue = Brown/Red
    Green = Red

Yes, I know I wrote Brown/Red twice. That wire needs to be piggybacked into both mirrors.

4) That was the easy parts. The hard part is to run the wires through the doors and across the center console. Just be creative. I hook a clothes hanger and taped the wires in the hanger to route them into crevices down near the gas pedal to run the wires across. Try to make the wires run as neatly as possible and use electrical tape to keep them together. Here you see the wire being run up the passenger side door. I had my door's wire harness replaced with one that had power locks/windows/mirrors so I just tapped into those wires. You are done! At this point, you have power mirrors wired.

[IMG]

5) Below are optional steps for making your power mirrors with LED turn signals. You will need to open up your power mirrors and run a wire through them like in the pictures and splice a lot of LEDs into that wire. Then tape the LEDs into the back of the glass. I recommend at least 4 LED per mirror so they will be bright enough.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

6) Put your power mirrors back together and now you need to power the LEDs. Run the wires into the turn signal wires coming out of the turn signal stalk harness near the steering column. The driver's side signal wire you want to tap into is Green/Black and the passenger side one is Green/Yellow. You will need to open your steering column cover for this.

[IMG]

[IMG]

This is how the result looks:

[IMG]
  2. Offline

KrypticKarma ~2001 Corrizm~

Message Count:
    Wow not bad at all.
  3. Offline

DrunkSaru Unsuspecting Poo Flinger

Message Count:
    impressive. now all you need is the mirrors to fold with power! hhehe. i love power folding mirrors
  4. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    ha I don't think that's possible with the OEM mirrors, but I am researching HEATED mirrors as I can use that
  5. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
  6. Offline

Legit01Rolla Active Member

Message Count:
    lol u have alot of MAD Veins
  7. Offline

BSPkrolla19 New Member

Message Count:
    hahahaha... you sould also post how you got does veins too... hahaha sike no... nice DYI doe. my car already had power mirrow doe so yea.
  8. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Holy shit how did we get to DIY: How to get veins like plu? LOL

Nah. I don't know guys....I'm just one of those little creepy Asian kids that just suprises people I guess is the best way to explain them veins. I believe that I have the strength of your average 200-250lb man in a 5'8" 140lb body. I eat chinese buffets out of business. They hate to see me because I eat more than football players. I don't really work out in fact a few years ago I went to the gym for the first time in a long time and noticed that I was out lifting those big jock muscle builder guys that little nerds like me try to stay as far away as possible. So nowadays when I go to the gym, I have fun shadowing the big guys at the guy and try to match their reps to see how I compare to someone twice my size.

I wish when I was younger I took up gymnastics because I noticed that I'm flexible as hell and can do many of the moves they do without practice. For example, I can do 50 one handed push ups no problem each hand. That's was because I saw it on TV one day and I wanted to try.

I guess in car talk I just have a really good power/weight ratio. :D
    My advice is to lose weight and not bulk up like most people that go to the gym and workout. I mean yes you gain more strength, but you also added more weight to your body...so you're not as agile. You see, that's what I would suggest. I know I am considered underweight, but I feel that I can stop eatting crappy like chinese buffets all the time to lose 10 lbs more and feel better.
  9. Offline

boredstudent3 New Member

Message Count:
    thanks for this DIY PLU!

great help, much appreciated...:)
  10. Offline

plu Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Well, I can confirm that the 93 - 02 Corolla/Prizm side mirrors are interchangeable. Meaning they have the same bolt pattern and and will bolt on to your car, but you'll probably have to splice 3 wires for the power mirrors to work.

What's great about this? The 93 - 97 Corollas have folding side mirrors! I think they just fold manually though.
  11. Offline

MacktasticSlick TRD whore with 36,000 posts, bitch

Administrator
    Message Count:
    Ah, to have power folding mirrors FTW! lol
  12. Offline

Hummer Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    E39 BMW
    lmfao, x2
  13. Offline