1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

DIY DIY Front Wheel Bearing Corolla 93 - 97

Discussion in 'Other DIY & Questions' started by RinconRolla98, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    DIY Front Wheel Bearing Corolla 93 - 97

This DIY is of the front wheel bearing , These year vehicles do not have a HUB sealed bearing they have a bearing only and the HUB is sold seperatly only if needed . These must be pressed on and off .

[IMG]

[IMG]

First make sure you secure your rear tire and you use jack stands . Then once you jack up the vehicle you can start removing the tire and wheel .

[IMG]

[IMG]

Once the tire is off then you remove the cotter pin that holds the CV shaft through the bearing and the nut lock .

[IMG]

There are many ways you can remove the CV shaft nut . Since I was working alone I put the tire back on and lowered the car and then with my torque wrench I removed it . you can use a air gun , you can have someone step on the brake , You can do one side at a time but in this case I was doing both sides .

[IMG]

Then I removed the bolt that holds the brake line .

[IMG]

Then I removed my brake caliper and set it some where so it doesn't interfere or stretch the brake line .

[IMG]

Then I removed the break caliper bracket or the torque plate as the book calls it . Some people remove the whole bracket instead of the caliper but since I'm not in a rush I removed it in this order .

[IMG]

Then I ONLY loosen the nut on the bottom strut .

[IMG]

Then I ONLY loosen the top nut on the strut .

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then I removed the cotter pin and ONLY loosen the nut for the tie rod .

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then you remove the cotter pin and ONLY loosen the ball joint nut . The reason I say to loosen only these nuts cause you still have to remove the strut .

[IMG]

Once you have everything loosened up then you can put something on the bottom of the strut and lower the vehicle so that it presses the spring smaller . Then with your spring compressor you can put it on . this way makes it easier then having to compress the spring you have some added help here . Once you have your spring compressor secure then you can raise the vehicle . Remove the strut bolts and nuts .

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Then you can gently start tapping out your tie rod , your bearing and your CV shaft .

[IMG]

Then there you have it the whole spindle and assembly . Ready to take it to a shop to have them press it on and off .

[IMG]

This is basically what you need a inner and outer seal and the front bearing if your hub is damaged then you have to purchase that .

[IMG]

The red arrow is the hub part and the yellow arrow is the bearing and the blue arrow is the outer seal .

[IMG]

The yellow arrows show the hub and the inner seal .

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The first two pictures are what it should look like when you have the new bearings and front and rear seal pressed in . Then you press in the hub and then this is what it looks like when it is completed .

[IMG]

Then you put everything back together . Before you put your tire back on check and recheck all your bolts , nuts , cotter pins .

[IMG]

Then put your tire on lower your vehicle check and recheck your lug nuts .

More DIY http://rinconrolla98.blogspot.com

Dear_Juan likes this.