1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Forced Induction Disable EGR and VSV on a 97 Corolla!

Discussion in 'Powertrain' started by hazer00, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Offline

hazer00 Psycho Child

Message Count:
    Egr Has Been Disabled And Boost Is So Much Better!

Does anyone know how to eliminate the EGR Valve and the VSV on a 97 Corolla and still have the engine run smooth and no check engine light when going into boost? Any thoughts, comments and idea's would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  2. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    mmm so glad i dont have egr... i remember seeing something about this but i believe it entailed swapping out to a JDM motor (no EGR) and JDM ECU
  3. Offline

JspeXAE102 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    if you figure it out, i'll buy your old egr.. mines is busted.. CEL for the last 2 months.. hate that pos.
  4. Offline

Denver Rolla 98 impreza

Message Count:
    oh is that all...
  5. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    couldn't you just plug the hole where the egr valve goes? and then put a 40 ohm resistor (that can handle the same wattage as the VSV could) in place of the VSV.

this should fool the ecu and I don't think the EGR has any sensors tied directly to it.
  6. Offline

Message Count:
    I'm not sure if the flow sensor is the same as the VSV (or EGR solenoid as other call it).. but the treason for my CEL is a "insufficent EGR flow detected." Although I have not gone too far indept to find the problem. As long as the crapolla is not running limp, i'm happy.
  7. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    that is caused by one of these according to the manual:
    EGR valve stuck closed
    Open or short in VSV circuit for EGR
    Vacuum or EGR hose disconnected
    Manifold absolute pressure sensor
    EGR VSV open or close malfunction

but I still think a resistor would do the trick. the thing is nothing but a solenoid that sends more vacuum to the EGR control valve

could try pulling the tubes on the VSV and putting a cap on them and clear the cel, then see if it comes back or not.
  8. Offline

Message Count:
    Yea it's one of three things, EGR valve, modulator or VSV.. unfortunitely each of the three cost ~$120. I could test the EGR valve and modulator with a vac pump but I never managed to get my hand on one. I changed out those little vacumm hoses @ th throttle body but that didn't help.

CB: where'd you get the 40ohm resistance value from? Have you had experience with deleting the EGR system from another car. I agree all that's need to be done is machine a block off plate and use a resistor to fool the ecu into thinking the vsv is in working order.
  9. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    EGR was one of the dumbest ideas ever.
  10. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    '97 corolla repair manual. says the vsv has a resistance of 37-44 ohms
  11. Offline

Rolla95 Rollin' Out y0

Message Count:
    my CEL is on for the EGR Gas Temperature Sensor code 71. and im not spending $116 to replace it so i just took the vacuum line directly from the egr and put it straight to the throttle body so my EGR still works and i gained back my gas mileage since that, but the CEL is still on
  12. Offline

hazer00 Psycho Child

Message Count:
    LOL, I love this guy^^

Just like wayne said, my CEL is for a number of things and the EGR is the source of all of my problems. I have replaced the VSV and the EGR Valve twice and nothing!!! The damn CEL is still on. I have even blocked off the EGR Valve hole with billet aluminum 1/8" thick and the heat from the exhaust gases actually blew a hole through it. So I am going to try a thicker material next time. However before it shot a hole through it the light came back on. I have a series of check valves on my map sensor so I sensor only reads vacuum and my toyota scan tool, tells me it is in the right. However, my VSV and accumulator are a different story. they are fucked the moment I go into boost. Another problem is my 02 sensor is always saying insufficent flow and slow responce. Sucks ass. Wayne as for my EGR you don't want it, it's toast. I have been riding around with about 5-8 different codes for the past yr and a half.

Corolla's Best, Please tell me more about this 40ohm resistor and what type and voltaqe to buy. I want to try this one out. And yes, my stupid car runs in open loop most of the time I am in boost. I found a way around that though. www.urdusa.com do a search for a ESC1. It is a split second controller that keeps your car in closed loop mode so that the cars ecu will not try to compensate for boost, it will however allow a piggy back or SAFC run the show. Pretty sweet device. Vamp has it installed. He has perfect a/f all throughout boost. I will get one of these for myself soon, however right now, I cannot afford it.
  13. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    hehe im just callin it like it is man.

you and me both.
  14. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    for the resistor idea you'd need to find a resistor between 37-44 ohm's at room temperature.

I looked on radioshack's site but they don't sell one within that small range. You'd most likely have to get multiple resistors and solder them together.

like 20+20 or something. resistors can be soldered head to tail and in series it has an additive effect.

this should barely be within the range. that is a pack of 5 so you'd take 2 head to tail soldered and that would replace where the 2 wires go in to the VSV. *should* null the system unless the computer is smart enough to figure it out because the value wouldn't change much.

I think this is a low power circuit so these wimpy 1/4 watt resistors *shouldn't* explode, but.. with all things, there is a chance. no risk to the ecu though, if one goes the system just stops working.
  15. Offline

vortex Well-Known Member

Administrator
    Message Count:
    electrical engineering madness
  16. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    that's my degree!.. in about 2 years :p
  17. Offline

hazer00 Psycho Child

Message Count:
    pretty much worth every penny eh? I bet you have some crazy ass setups at your place with that degree.

So how exactly would I wire this in! cut off the conector or something?
  18. Offline

Message Count:
    either cut off the connector and solder/crimp it or stick the resistor series directly into the connector, tape it up and hope it dosent fall out.

so steve, am I to assume that you never got the CEL problem fixed even after you swapped over to a 5spd part no. EGR?
  19. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    I'd just stuff it in to the contacts of the plug for now until you know it actually works.. if it does I'd make a little plastic piece to plug in to the connector .. rip it off a non-working vsv maybe.
  20. Offline

hazer00 Psycho Child

Message Count:

You assume correctly.. will let you know when I fix the problem!

Ok, I will give it a shot
  21. Offline

Message Count:
    I did a little more research on the subject. I believe it is the EGR Gas Temerature sensor that is what tells the ECU to throw the CEL not the VSV (EGR Solenoid). The VSV/solenoid is afterall only a switch not a sensor. The only problem is I'm not sure where that sensor is located. On 93-95 it seems to be plugged right into the bottom port of the EGR valve. But I can't locate it on 96-97.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/16/a6/95/0900823d8016a695.jsp
  22. Offline

hazer00 Psycho Child

Message Count:
    EGR has been successfully by passed! Thanks to "CorollasBest" for the resistor idea. One resistor a little bit of stainles stell and I am all set, no more boost lag and awesome power. Thanks.
  23. Offline

Vamp Gunmetal 2001 Corolla S

Message Count:
    Vehicles:
    Gunmetal Grey 2001 Corolla S
    Easier to street tune as well!
  24. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    ;) Glad to help! Now it just has to hold up to long term use and keep the ecu fooled.
  25. Offline

hazer00 Psycho Child

Message Count:
    I hope so too. So far so good!