1. Welcome to TRD Forums! A community for Toyota, Lexus, and Scion Enthusiasts. To enjoy all the benefits of the site, we invite you to signup.

Tech digital camera

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mburket, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Offline

mburket Banned

Message Count:
    digital camera

im going to ask for a digital camera this x-mas and was wondering if anyone knew what some good brands were or brands not to buy.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7081103
    saw that one at walmart and liked it alot?

any suggestions out there? keep in mind i prolly should keep the price under $200.
  2. Offline

RinconRolla98 Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    I dont know if Mark AKA Skyace post on here but if you go to Corollacarclub.com I know he is a regular there and takes proffesional pictures and knows his shit about camera's ............. :)
  3. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    fuji's for the most part are low end equipment. If you want something that will always take pretty good shots.. canon for sure. in the SLR market I'd recommend canon, nikon, sony, and finally olympus.
  4. Offline

SaberJ2X Lurk MOAR

Message Count:
    hey! my Fuji takes nice pictures! of course it's the model below the top of the Line S3 though... lol
  5. Offline

TurismoDreamin ΓΡΗΓΟΡΟΣ ΟΔΗΓΟΣ

Message Count:
    If you want to go high-end, I would say Nikon just because I am a Nikon worshiper. Nikon D200 is the most superior camera ever! lol

As for low end, there are a few things you can check. Just make sure that when you take a picture, there is no vignetting, virtually no "graininess" to the picture, no areas that are repeatedly "blown out", metering ability, and manual settings are always a plus. If there are manual settings, check how high you can adjust the ISO setting. If you can go up to about 400-800 without any picture grain, that's usually a pretty good sign that it's going to give you sharp pictures almost all the time, even on auto. That's all I can think of right now cuz I just woke up from a badass nap.
  6. Offline

mburket Banned

Message Count:
    ok sweet thanks guys i will tell my mom this stuff and let her do the deciding for me plus im sure that there will be some killer deals on black friday.
  7. Offline

1337Rolla oh my

Administrator
    Message Count:
    wtf did I say epson? I meant olympus.. edited the post. epson is absolute crap.. no matter the product.
  8. Offline

DaCubanSkillz Active Member

Message Count:
    My Fuji works great. its been dropped and all and is still alive. For SLR's from what I've seen, the Nikon and cannon are popular. A regular point and shoot camera, well I like Fuji. I have 2 of them and they work great.
  9. Offline

its_ikon FIRST widebody

Message Count:
    nikon d-slr FTW
  10. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    for the already mentioned price range of around $200, i'd recommend the Casio Exilim...it's a great camera. sturdy as all hell, too.
  11. Offline

Message Count:
    They are a fun camera. I had an Exilim S770. My only issue with it was that it had crappy ISOs, metered correctly only half the time, had very very limited manual settings, and had issues with auto focus at times. I don't know about sturdy either because I kept in it my pocket one day and I dunno what I bumped up against but it put a dent in the front of the camera body but didn't effect functionality. It's an awesome camera to tote around cuz its so small and versatile though.
  12. Offline

falnfenix Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    by sturdy, i mean you can drop them and they won't break like most of the current cameras. they'll dent, but it won't affect function in any way shape or form. then again, the metal that makes up the outer shell also makes up all other parts internally...it's just built to last. the boyfriend's looks like it's been through a war but works like new.

i haven't had any issues with metering, but i also take my time in setting up shots. i've also never had a problem with the autofocus.
  13. Offline

Message Count:
    ^I joined an Exilim forum when I got it and apparently metering and autofocus were common issues with the S770 model. It didn't happen all the time....just often enough to the point where it would become annoying. But don't get me wrong...I did take some decent pictures with it most of the time.

mburket, I recommend that you check flickr and browse camera's there. I say this because you can see what others rate a camera, their feedback on it, and pictures taken from the camera.
  14. Offline

mburket Banned

Message Count:
    so i look at comsumer reports along with what kinda deals i can get in the near future and i told my parents to get me a cannon powershot. all i have heard are good things aoubt it and consumer reports gave it a very good rating. thanks for all the help guys.
  15. Offline

DOT. Noypi ako!

Message Count:
    Point and shoot - Canon
    DSLR - Nikon

I'm a D80 owner but Canon makes great Point and Shoots.

Olympus came out with a Point and Shoot that is waterproof and shockproof that's less than $300! Something to concider... Olympus Stylus 720 SW